Chapter 9 - Boho

Peyton's hair looks like a nest at the top of her head. Without makeup, her freckles stand out and make her look like a 13-year-old. She stares into her grapefruit while I eat toasted French bread thickly smeared with butter.

"Why are you doing this to me?" she looks at my plate with longing.

"Why are you doing that to yourself?" I point at her miserable piece of fruit with my slice of bread.

"Because I'm vain, that's why," she whines while pushing her breakfast away and grabs bread from my plate. "So delicious," she moans.

I look at my phone and see a message from Devin asking if he should head to the Smiths directly. I quickly reply saying to meet me at home first.

"Was that Devin?" Peyton asks.

"Yeah, how do you know?" I put the phone away and down the last of my coffee.

"Easy guess. You get a goofy smile when he messages you,"

"I do not! I smile at everyone!"

Peyton snorts. "Why are you so worked up?"

"I'm not!"

She gets a fit of giggles while I busy myself gathering my planner pages for the boho birthday.

"You have hidden him well. How long has he worked for you?"

"Six weeks and I'm not hiding him. You have been sleeping, working or out when he has been here,"

"Is he cute?" she folds her hands under her chin and grins.

"I guess so," I shrug.

"Bullshit! He must be something because you are wearing makeup,"

"I'm wearing makeup because since I hired Devin I have more time for myself. I'm even sleeping eight hours now,"

"So he is good for you,"

"He's good for anyone. He's helpful and knows how to follow instructions,"

"Oh my God! Helpful and follows instructions? Panty drop alert for Tania!" she claps excitedly.

I shake my head at the silliness of it all. Peyton heads to the bathroom and I make a quick inventory of my small supplies box. I will recycle a few tents from the camping birthday I did a while ago. I want to spread them in the backyard to shelter the food and drinks stations, and will set a large picnic cloth on the ground with cushions for the guests to lounge. 

I didn't have enough cushion covers and Devin was interested in learning how to use a sewing machine so I took the chance to teach him. I guess he is fed up with glueing stuff and wanted to try something new. I showed him how to make a simple seam for the covers and he was good at it. Sewing buttons is a different story. I think he spent a good 15 minutes trying to put the thread through the needle eye. Then he would constantly let the buttons fall as his hands are too large to grab the tiny things properly.

The door bell rings and I open it for Devin. He wears a rusty red tunic with long beaded necklaces and a thin scarf around his neck. 

"Is this all right? Tony helped me. He said to channel my inner Johnny Depp. I hope I don't look like an idiot cause his idea of fashion is twisted at times," his words come out rushed.

"Relax. You look good in those. Today, anything goes," I point at my loose dress. "I know the print is busy enough to give anyone a migraine, but it was a bargain at the recycling store. I paid a dollar for it,"

Devin smiles. I grab a scarf and tie it around my head, letting my curls loose on the back. I watch his reflection in the mirror as he stares at me.