Chapter 75

Prithvi strolled towards Ayodhya at a leisurely pace. He usually took these walks alone. This morning, however, a thumping pain in the chest and back had offered great company from the time he’d helped the labourer.

The day had started on a good note with him waking up in a trash-free house. Apparently, at daybreak, Anika had stated her intention to depart, and had compelled Rohit also to leave immediately.

No complaints there. He was only glad he hadn’t been forced to endure a goodbye scene with the female parasite. And Rohit had left a note saying he’d try to make another visit before returning home. Now the sole irritants were Mochi and Sumer Singh’s worried expressions while they fussed over Nandini’s feelings.

As he pushed open the gate to Ayodhya, Prithvi satirically looked at the neighbouring house.

He had absolutely no intention of approaching her with any justification. She would calm down once she understood the irrelevance of the episode. It would take a day or two at the most for her to quietly return to him.

As something white caught his eye, Prithvi stopped near the steps of the house. He looked at the adjoining courtyard with mild interest. A small but complex pattern was sketched in Vrindavan’s yard, unquestionably made by her.

He would have liked to see her making it.  He could have ragged and riled her into making a mess of it, Prithvi regretted.

A booming voice, cribbing vociferously about malicious gossip, emerged from the living room of his house.

Prithvi grinned.

Fate had thoughtfully arranged an alternate source of entertainment…

*************************

“Four neighbours hounded me yesterday evening! And I had to listen to more silly people in the morning,” Bhoothnath railed indignantly.

“Yes, yes. I’ll get more tea and sweets for you.” Sumer Singh quickly rose to his feet, lifting an empty plate that lay next to the fruit platter. He would loiter in the kitchen for some time until the topic changed.

Before Prithvi had returned, he had offered Bhoothnath a list of distorted truths to defend the prince. He’d explained that Anika was Prithvi’s acquaintance, and the kiss was purely her way of greeting him, and that her ultra-modern upbringing was to be blamed. Bhoothnath, who was already disinclined to believe the gossipmongers, had eagerly accepted Sumer Singh’s explanation. And later, Prithvi’s arrival had infused more enthusiasm into the old man’s condemnation of outsiders. And having easily caught the drift of the preceding conversation, Prithvi had dutifully taken a seat in the room, somehow successfully conveying an impression of offended virtuousness.  

As he placed a pan of water on the gas, Sumer Singh heard Bhoothnath grumpily say, “I don’t understand what joy people find in spreading slanderous tales about blameless young men.”

Reclining in an easy chair near Bhoothnath, Prithvi righteously said, “You mustn’t criticize them. They told you what they saw or heard from other eyewitnesses. I just wish I had a chance to explain the truth to them. Not that I can reveal the whole truth to anyone, not even Baba. Who will believe me except you?” he muttered heavily.