seventeen

"What do you mean, you don't know?" I asked him, confused by his words.

"I mean that I really don't know" he replied, a hint of something I couldn't quite recognise in his voice. "Do you think he lied?"

I sighed. "Zayn might be a lot of things, but I don't think he's a liar. What even would he get from lying about this?"

"I don't know... I can't believe I really did that."

"I thought you were done with having that huge crush on him?" I asked him.

"Well, clearly I was not" he snapped.

"Whatever, Niall. I really don't know what to say anymore. I have to go to work now" I told him after having given a fast glance at the clock.

"Bye" he replied, and I closed the call.

I got ready for work and left the house, glancing at Harry's door and wondering if he was inside. I decided not to check and went down the stairs. I took the car, not wanting to risk being bothered by someone, that probably went by the name of Louis. His obsession with Harry was starting to worry me way more than I would've liked to admit. He seemed quite stalker-ish, and I didn't really know how far he would've gone to have his way.

As soon as I stepped inside the building I worked at, I took the lift up to the seventh floor. Not many people were around since the restaurant hadn't opened for customers yet, so I put all my belongings in the back room and went out on the balcony, opening the lock and closing the door behind me carefully, since I didn't want the cold to get inside.

It wasn't a beautiful day. Even if it wasn't exactly raining, the sky was grey and the sun was hidden. Once again, the cold London wind was blowing on the streets. Winter was coming around, everybody could feel it in their bones and in the freezing air. I leaned against the railing, looking at the city behind me, getting lost in trying to follow with my eyes the small cars moving around and the people walking on the streets, not even realising that time was passing by.

"It's really beautiful and all, but you have to come inside. We're about to open" a voice said behind me.

I turned around and saw Chloe. "Sure, let's go" I said and we both got in, locking the door again.

"So how did it go?" She asked excitedly as we went around fixing every little thing that wasn't exactly in its right place.

I stopped doing what I was doing and I looked at her with a confused look on my face."What?"

She rolled her eyes at my question, a smile on her face. "I know it must've been a boy. You wouldn't have asked me to cover for you yesterday night if it wasn't for a boy!"

"Really? What if I was spending time with my family?" I asked her.

"Were you?" She fired back, turning to me and rising an eyebrow.

"I was not" I admitted.

"So?" She asked impatiently.

"Good, I guess" I replied, taking some menus.

Another waiter came towards us. He was new, and to be honest I didn't really remember his name. James, maybe? Or Jack? I had no idea.

"Girls, what about you start to be professional? The restaurant is about to open" he scolded us.

I nodded and took it as a chance to walk away from the awkward situation.

•  •  •

When I ended my shift I decided to go to the library where Niall worked, even though I knew he wasn't there.

I didn't really feel like hanging out with Liam, or going home for the matter. After all that had happened, it felt weird to be around him and Niall. It was as if that situation had brought around a side of them both that I had never seen before, and I needed to get adjusted to it before going back to normal. As normal as it could be, of course.