Chapter 22 - Promise

Theo POV

"Our casualties were low, only four members of our pack are deceased. Their families have been informed and Jerry is arranging the funeral as we speak. About twenty were injured, although none were serious. Overall, we came out well." I tell Colton. 

"That's good to hear. The training is working. Shows that there is no need to make changes. However, sign the injured up for a few extra classes. Clearly, they weren't prepared." Colton responds as he leans back in his chair. 

"Should I look at your shoulder?" 

He nods his head and I take a step towards him. The wound is already beginning to heal but I clean it out to prevent any infections. 

"Theo?" Colton says. 

"Yes?"

"Have you seen Skylar?" He questions, turning his head to look at me. 

"Last I saw she was sitting in the chair you left her in," I respond. I quickly wrap the wound and step away from him. "Did you want me to check on her?" 

"No, no. I will. She's probably just worked up about the battle and her old pack. She will get over it." He sighs. 

I hesitate slightly, choosing my next words carefully. "I think it's more than just being worked up about it, Colton. Her old pack has been slaughtered. She saw her old Alpha dead on the ground. People she grew up with bled at her feet. Her father will be killed. I'd say she is depressed, at a very minimum. It's a lot to take in."

Colton wipes his face with his hand and stands from his seat. "I know. She isn't built for this. She needs to toughen up." 

"She doesn't need to toughen up, brother. You need to soften up." I reply before stepping outside of the office, leaving him to think over my words. 

I walk down the hall to the living room, my head low as I pass weeping women whose mates have fallen. Four lives lost in a pointless war. When will it end?

As I enter the living room, my eyes immediately fall on Skylar. Her eyes are red and swollen from the tears that continuously fall down her face. Her skin is pale and sickly and her lips are chapped. I can see her hands shaking. I can hear soft whimpers leaving her mouth. My heart aches for her. 

"Skylar," I say softly as I slowly step towards her. She doesn't move. She doesn't even flinch at my voice. 

"Skylar," I repeat, a little more loudly. I bend a knee in front of her and take one of her shaky hands in mine. "I'm here."

She doesn't respond or look into my eyes. She just sits there, whimpering and shaking. My eyes search hers for something but come up empty. 

"Skylar, I need you to talk to me. Please. I need to know if you are okay."

Her eyes suddenly snap to mine, giving me a glimmer of hope. 

"Okay?" She says, her voice raspy from all the tears she shed. "Okay?"

"Yes, I need to know if you are okay," I reply. 

"Okay?" She repeats, this time ripping her hand from mine. "Okay? How can I be okay, Theo? They are all dead! All of them! He killed them all! And my father is next! How can I be okay!" 

I shake my head. "I don't know, but let me help you."

"No, Theo. I don't want your help. I don't need it. This is what I am destined to be. Colton's mate - a punching bag and fuck toy." She sneers. "This is what the Moon Goddess wants - me to submit to him and bear him children! So fuck it! I'm done! That's what I'm going to do!"