Chapter 4

I awoke the next morning to loud banging noises.  As per usual, me being paranoid, I thought of the worst things, people robbing my house or maybe someone crashed their car into my garage, but thankfully it wasn’t any of that.  I hadn’t realized, but apparently Monday is my garbage day, and I was hearing the noisy garbage trucks.  I was annoyed but then I pushed it aside seeing as my alarm clock went off 5 minutes later.

Stoked would have been an understatement to describe my emotions this morning. Overjoyed, thrilled, and ecstatic were a few adjectives that came to my mind, but even those were still understatements.  I saw that I had gotten a few texts from my parents and sister wishing me luck on my first day on the job, and after responding to them, I began getting ready.

After showering, eating, and preparing myself, I headed out to my car and drove off to the train station.  I had bought a train pass that allows me to take the train various times a day, every day, for 6 months.  This would save me a lot of money to spend on other things.

I sat right across from the doors when I got on the train because I liked the little bursts of air every time we would have to stop at another station.  On the way to work I was on my laptop listening to music and reading another email I had gotten from Pete.

Just about a half hour later, I got off at my station, and walked the quick 10 minute walk to the studio.  My heart was beating rapidly and basically out of my chest as I entered the building and into the lobby.  I was surprised with everyone standing there facing me with warm smiles on their faces with cookies and a cake on a table to the side.

“Hi there Ms. Garcia! I’m Rick Jennings, current owner of the internationally known Marshall and Jett Studios.  On the behalf of the entire crew here, we welcome you. We’ve heard the albums that you have produced so far and we know you’re capable of amazing things.”

I couldn’t believe that the owner, the head of the well-known business that I was now a part of, was already talking to me and giving me compliments on my previous work.

“Thank you so much Mr. Jennings, it means a lot coming from you. I hope to show everyone my best abilities and continue to grow while I’m here.” I said shaking his hand.

“I have no doubts that you’ll be anything less than amazing.  Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get to a few meetings, carry on meeting your new co-workers.” He said to me, and then excited out of the front door.

There were about 40 employees standing in front of me, containing secretaries, major producers, live crew members, agents, and assistant engineers, and I had introduced myself to every single one of them.  I had learned all of their names, maybe forgotten a couple of them along the way, but hey meeting a lot of new people at once is a little nerve-wracking.

“It’s good to finally meet with you in person Ms. Garcia.” Pete said approaching me.

I shook his hand, “it’s a pleasure, and just call me by my first name, Rachel,” I said back.

“Got it. Now would you like to grab a piece of your welcoming cake, and take a tour around the building with me?”

“Sure, I’d love to see all of it!”

We both grabbed plates and pieces of cake, and at this point, most of my new co-workers were getting to their stations for the day.

Pete took me on a tour throughout every single section of the building, I was mostly gawking over how each studio was built and designed.  Not to mention, all the signed posters of bands that had worked there before, were drawing me in even more.

“Oh my god, did Bon Jovi actually record It’s My Life here?!”

“Yeah, that was before I was here but one of our secretary's Brent was, and he’s told me many times about that experience.” Pete laughed at the memory.