Event Five: Austere Academy, Part One

It was a beautiful Saturday. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and there wasn't a cloud in sight. Hermione could almost convince herself that all was right with the world.

There she lay atop a big blanket, arms crossed under her head. She was joined by Neville Longbottom, Ron Weasley, and Harry Potter, who were all in various states of relaxation themselves.

They had picked a spot far away from the castle, near the entrance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. A year and a half after the Final Battle, the land and building still bore the marks of that deadly day. They would never truly disappear. The damage was too deep. But rather than gaping wounds, the grounds seemed only scarred. The passage of time had brought some healing and would continue to knit together what had once been broken.

The knowledge was bittersweet.

In the background, the sound of students practicing on the Quidditch pitch barely reached her ears. Just down the road and past the gate, the people of Hogsmeade were bustling about their little town. Hermione closed her eyes, letting the sun soak into her skin as she listened to the boys converse.

"Thinking about becoming an Auror myself, actually. Maybe in a year or two. I'm kind of enjoying working with George," Ron said.

"Why don't you just ask me what it's like?" Harry said.

"Because I'd like to hear what Neville thinks...hear about being an Auror from the other side."

"There isn't much to tell. It kept me busy. It wasn't bad or anything. I just...I've seen enough violence in my life. Besides," Neville quickly added, "I really enjoy working with Professor Sprout."

"When she retires are you going to take over for her?' Harry asked.

"Maybe. That's kind of why I'm doing this internship. We'll see how it goes. What about you, Hermione? Any plans to teach here? McGonagall said there's always a place for you here."

"I know, and it's so tempting." Hermione let out a sigh. "But I think I can accomplish more good at the Ministry."

"If they don't drive you to an early grave," Harry said.

"Don't remind me. It's the weekend. I think I've earned the right to not talk about work," Hermione said.

"Good, because there's something I've been meaning to ask Neville," Ron said. Even though she couldn't see Ron's face, from the tone of his voice, Hermione knew he was itching for mischief.

"Huh?" the innocent Neville asked.

"What's this I hear about you and Hannah Abbot?"

Hermione opened her eyes and snuck a glance at Neville.

"N-nothing," he replied.

Ron faked a series of coughs that managed to sound an awful lot like the word 'Hufflepuff.'

"We're just friends," Neville said, a bit too loudly.

Harry and Ron shared a look. "Friends...right."

Neville cleared his throat, pulling slightly at the collar of his robes. "So, uh, Hermione, I saw that paper that said you and Malfoy were dating."

And to think she had been on the verge of defending that Hufflepuff lover from Harry and Ron.

"Nice try, Neville, but you know nothing's going on between me and Malfoy," she said.

"Yeah, Ron's called dibs," Harry said.

Neville looked on in confusion while Hermione and Harry burst into laughter.

Ron was not amused. "Ha. Ha. Ha. Very funny. I can't believe they even included that Slytherin babies quote in the article."