Awakened

Tic... tic... tic... the gears within the Red lion whirred.

Lance paused in his work to raise an eyebrow at the lion. "Hey, Red... you alright?"

Tic... tic... the lights flickered on then faded.

Lance rose to his feet. The hangar was silent. Lance stared for a tick longer before shrugging his shoulders and leaning over the left paw to continue cleaning the dirt away.

Click... click... click... A sudden, deafening roar bounced along the walls. Lance pressed his hands over his ears as he looked to Red with an excited grin.

"You're okay! Holy crow, I can't believe it!" Lance jumped with excitement as the metallic lion straightened up. Glowing eyes beamed down at him. "YES!" Lance punched the air. "Watch out, universe! Sharpshooter Lance just became Lance the mechanic!" He paused. "Huh... doesn't sound as cool but we'll work on it, eh Red?" Lance laughed.

Red cocked her head. She let out a deep rumble from her throat and opened her mouth slightly.

Lance didn't notice. The blue Paladin was too busy dancing to see the Red lion looming over him. Only when the lion's head blocked out the lamplight did Lance look up to see its gigantic maw snap him up.

"Hey!" Lance shouted. "What's going--"
He was cut off as Red dipped her head back, causing Lance to tumble into the control room. He slammed into the back wall. "Ow... thanks, buddy." Lance gasped, holding a hand over a new bruise on his hip. "Love you too." He rose to his feet and padded to the controls. "So..." he sunk into the pilot's seat. "...Wanna go somewhere?"

Red took a couple experimental steps forward.

"Okay, we're looking good. Let's take this slow, alright?"

Red crouched low to the ground and shook her rear like a cat preparing to pounce on its prey.

"Um... Red? You're not gonna--"

Lance screamed as Red rocketed off the platform. The exit to the hangar hardly had time to open before she shot out at record speed. She didn't stop there. The thrill of flying consumed her. She tore through space like she was being pursued, gradually picking up speed as she went. Lance's stomach dashed into his throat as she took a nose dive then plummeted again as she spun around to rocket up once again. She was a blur of motion, twirling in between the stars. Lance's knuckles went white from holding on so tight but he refused to be tossed from his seat.

"THIS IS LIKE AN INSANE ROLLER COASTER RIDE!" Lance exclaimed with a whoop of excitement. Despite the initial terror of potentially being thrown from his seat, Lance was enjoying himself almost as much as Red was.

As Red's flying began to level out, Lance leaned forward with his fingers over the controls. "Okay, beautiful. Are you ready to help me get our Paladin back?"

A determined growl vibrated under Lance's feet.

Lance smiled. "That's what I like to hear. Let's go!"