Chapter 44: Phoenix

"It seems we arrived late and miss the show"

The loud laughter made everyone turned to see a man in a gold and silver robe in front of a group of imperial guards and several scholars and princes. Everyone immediately went to their knees to greet the Emperor - who in turn gave a warm laugh and bid everyone to stand.

"Beautiful flowers indeed"

The emperor went to the painting; his eyes took in all the flowers I drew. He chuckled softly as butterflies were on the flowers, making them more realistic.

"This must be the infamous flower painting that can lure butterflies I hear so much about" The emperor looked at me with a smile. "Hou Rong"

I heard that name and flinched inside. I have been surprised by the emperor sudden present that had fail to notice the man standing directly to his right. The man was staring at me with a smile.

"What do you think of the flowers Fa Wei Lan drew?"

"Beautiful" He was looking at me – not at the flowers painting. "Hou Rong has long admired Miss Wei Lan talents"

I felt cold seeing his smile.

"Keep your admiration at a distant"

I heard Feng's sharp, cold words before he took my hand and pulled behind him. Feng used his taller, broader body to shield Hou Rong view of me.

"Your majesty" Feng eyes went to the emperor. "What brought the emperor here to Wang Mansion today?"

"Wang Feng, you are getting bolder and bolder by the day. In front of his majesty, you dare_"

Feng sharp eyes shot to the official who spoke. Wang Feng is famous for many things – one of which is his emotionless dark eyes, eyes that could cause you to shake in fear.

"Wang Feng, I was invited by Elder Wang" The emperor doesn't seem to mind Feng's attitude and spoke with his usual calm smiles. "I was told your engagement is going to be announce, as one of my general, I must give my approval to this"

Wang Feng gave a snort as if he doesn't care or need the emperor approval toward his engagement. Everyone was startled. Does the man not fear anything? Was he that brazen and fearless to behave this way in front of the emperor – the ruler of the country?

"Well, now that I'm here" The emperor continued as he turned and look at the Wang Elders. "Who is the future Wang Fei?"

No one said a word. In fact, he noticed several startled and surprised faces, making the emperor brow raised in amusement.

"Your majesty, the engagement has yet to be announced" Elder Wang smiled wryly and continued politely. "Now that your majesty is here, I would like to announce the engagement between the Wang and Fa family."

Everyone was stunned. Hou Rong had been especially shocked as he turned to face Wang Feng who was still hiding me.

"Oh" The emperor gave a smile as he turned back to look at the fierce eyes Wang Feng and the young girl who he hid possessively behind him. "Indeed, you have chosen well Wang Feng"

When he noticed the phoenix stick on the young general hair, the emperor smiled knowingly.

"Fa Wei Lan"

I stepped out from behind Feng. I couldn't shake his hand still on my wrist, but I managed to bow to the emperor.

"Wei Lan greet his majesty"

"On your wedding day, I will reward you well"

Again, everyone was surprised.

"Thank you your majesty" I said softly.

"Has the wedding date been selected?" The emperor turned to ask the Elder Wang.

"That is..." Elder Wang looks a bit embarrassed, but she gave a slight bow and said. "Master Fa requested for more time with his granddaughter. We have agreed to wait 2 years before the wedding"

This made the Emperor laughed after a second of surprise.

"Wang Feng, I believe you just met your match with Master Fa" The Emperor teased. "A beauty is not easily obtain, this is a good lesson for you"

Wang Feng scowls at being laughed at, while I was blushing.

"Fa Wei Lan" The emperor said with a sudden gentle voice. "Take your time to see the world, the sea is wide and there are plenty of fishes in the sea"

The emperor smiles were gentle as he reminded me of the painting I've done several weeks ago – "Fish and Bird". The painting was just a distant sad memory of my past life. Those words only brought a bitter feeling within my heart as they were the same words spoken by in my past by Hou Rong.

"There will no fishes left in the sea if anyone dares covets what is mine" Wang Feng voice was as icy as his dark eyes.

Wang Feng looked like he was at the verge of madness – ready to strike and kill anyone who step forward or speak. Even the emperor, who was still smiling, did not make a step or word.

"Wei Lan is not the bird searching the sea for the fish..." I said softly with a small smile. "Wei Lan is a phoenix waiting for the wind to take her into the sky"

Hearing this, Feng turned to smile at me. He dropped his hand from my wrist to my hand, holding it tight.

"Right, a phoenix" The emperor chuckled as he saw our hands intertwined. "A phoenix waiting for the wind... Fa Wei Lan, you are indeed worthy of your name"

I blushed at the compliment and bowed my head.

"Such a wonderful occasion, a wonderful day" The emperor suddenly said as he turned and started to walk toward Elder Wang and my Grandfather. "Old Friend, let's us have a few drinks together"

Hearing the emperor say that to Fa He Long, everyone realized that the rumors were indeed true. The Head of the Fa Family, although has no interest or position in the court, he has deep connection to the royal family – the emperor, himself.