Shock Absorber

The silence was deafening between us, the only noises coming from the crackling of the fire and the insects chirping in the woods. I glanced around at the dull expressions of my classmates and teachers, their expressions lit up by the orange hue of the flames. The wind blew through us, fanning said flames and chilling some of my friends to the bone. The females in our group were much worse off than the rest of us. Izumo and Shiemi still had on their academy skirts, and their legs were being tormented by the brisk night. Shura still had my jacket and was clutching it tightly, her shorts not doing much for her legs either.

A sudden idea popped into my head and I rolled my eyes, getting to my feet. The others were shocked out of their trances and gave me weird looks. I ignored them and walked to the van, entering through Izumo's door and crawling over the seats. Once in back, I shuffled about, trying to get my footing.

"Okumura, what the hell are you doing?"

"Get your asses in line!" I called grabbing someone's luggage and tossing it over the seats. I heard footsteps and someone reached in and grabbed the bag. I tossed another one over to them and they handed it back, the luggage disappearing outside of the vehicle. I grabbed Yukio's stuff and tossed it over, doing the same for the other bags as well. When all that was left was my suitcase, I shuffled it over my shoulder and climbed over the seats, my body aching and begging for a break, but I plowed through it. Now wasn't a good time to be a wuss.

Hopping out of the van, I treaded over to the fire, where everyone was searching through their things. Suddenly, the atmosphere seemed a bit lighter between all of us. "Oh, thank god! I packed pants." Izumo held the garment up and stood, walking over to the darkness of the woods, no doubt going to change into the warmer clothing. My eyes wandered over to Shiemi, who was huddled inside of a jacket she must have packed. I noticed her lack of trousers and neared her.

"Uh, don't you have anything warmer than that?" I waved toward the pink skirt and white socks. She looked up at me, her innocent expression causing my cheeks to burn.

"I didn't think we'd be spending that much time outside, so I only brought my jacket." She gripped the coat and wrapped it a bit tighter around her midsection. "I wish I wouldn't been a little bit smarter when I packed."

I scratched the back of my head, "maybe ask Izumo, or maybe Shura has something...?" As I said the words, I looked up at the older woman, hoping that she'd heard me. She had, but she shook her head.

"Does it look like I pack smart for the winter weather?" I shrugged, she didn't really pack much for clothing at all. Unless you count bikini tops and shorts and clothes.

The wind blew once more and I watched as Shiemi shivered, the exposed skin on her legs raising in goosebumps. I averted my gaze and lowered my voice, "uh, if you want, you could borrow a pair of my pants if you're cold."

She looked up at me, a sweet smile on her lips. "I'll be okay, I promise." I nodded, a blush creeping onto my cheeks as I moved to sit back down by my suitcase. Even now, I was trying to claw my way out of the friendzone, but she still shoots me down. I sighed, unzipping my bag and look through its contents. There wasn't much in there except my toiletries and a few changes of clothes.

Izumo returned, holding her skirt in her hands, instead, she had on a pair of sweatpants. "Smart thinking, Kamiki-chan," I stated and I dare say that she blushed from the praise.

Shura, on the other hand, didn't seem to be any warmer. She didn't even bother opening her suitcase, probably knowing it's contents and holding a deep regret about them. My brother sighed, rifling through his luggage and tossing a garment at her. She flinched in surprise and stared at the pants, then flickering her eyes up to him in question. Yukio huffed and sat down on the ground, staring at the fire and lacing his fingers in front of his face. "We don't need you catching a cold, and I'm similar to your measurements."