Low Battery

That night, I went to bed later than most everyone else. The only ones left awake were Yukio, Shura, and I, which was relaxing because I knew they wouldn't start anything. I watched as the orange and yellow flames danced with each other until the fire slowly started to die out. I stood up to get another log, but I soon realized that we'd burned through our wood stack quicker than expected. I sighed, keeping my voice quiet enough so I wouldn't wake the others. "I'm going out to get some more wood, I'll be back soon."

"Rin!" My brother called in a rushed whisper, I turned and gave him a surprised look. "There are predators out there, they'll target you if you're alone, especially in the state that you're in. We will be fine for the night, so come sit back down."

I slowly shook my head, "I need to get up and move around, and I'm pretty sure those predators aren't used to their prey being able to summon flames on them."

"I'll go with you then," he sniffed and moved to get up, but Shura grabbed his arm and pulled him back down.

"Your brother is more than capable of finding some sticks within a hundred meters of us, right Rin?" She gave me a pointed look and I nodded. "Besides, with your cold, you can't afford to go without heat, let alone go looking for some in the chilly night." He looked like he was going to argue again, but she hushed him and waved me off. "Just go, Rin, but we aren't going to bed until you return, got it?"

I nodded once more and turned on my heels, walking out into the woods. As soon as I left the heat of the fire, I felt the chill of night attack my skin. I huffed and picked up a stick, using my damned powers to light the end of it like a torch. A blue hue illuminated everything around me and I dutifully went to picking up fallen logs and kindle. I could simply get enough to last us through the night, or I could try and stock up, I did have my tail after all. Humming, I decided to put myself to work.

I figured that going in a circle around the perimeter of camp would be the smartest thing to do. Reaching down, I grabbed a fallen branch, which I tried snapping in half over my knee. It was quite hard to juggle doing so with a makeshift torch in hand, but I somehow managed to do so and I shifted the logs under my other arm. I whistled a small tune to myself as I walked about, bending over, grasping logs here and twigs there. It was a monotonous job at best, but it was more entertaining than having an existential crisis sitting by a dwindling fire.

Sighing, I moved to pick yet another branch off the ground, my hand coming in contact with some thistles in the process. "Fuck," I grunted in pain, reflexively dropping my light and my logs to rub the affected area. Immediately, I sensed something was off. My ears twitched at the sounds of rustling around me. I tried to use logic and convince myself that it was just the sounds of the creatures in the woods. However, the loud cracklings of dry leaves and small thuds of multiple footsteps told me the creatures weren't as small as I'd wished.

"Who's there?" I squinted and leaned over to grab my fallen torch, the end of it extinguished by the damp ground. Summoning my power, I lit the end once more and I nearly fell backward. "Wh-what the fuck?"

They were gone in an instant, but I knew immediately what they were. Glowing eyes, sharp teeth, and the speed and force of a small car. They wouldn't hesitate to attack me, but the bright light made them retreat, their fur sticking out and within seconds, I was left alone, but extremely panicked.

Wolves.

I took a moment for me to regain my breath, and when I did, it quickened, fear grasping my heart. How many of them were there? Were the others safe?

I shook my head, I needed to calm down. They wouldn't attack a group of us, especially if Shura and Yukio were awake with the fire. With wide eyes I realized that I should get back before that fire died out. Quickly, I bundled my things and started walking back to camp, my senses keenly aware of every detail around me.