Event Five: Austere Academy, Part Two

Despite the lovely weather outside, the Three Broomsticks was a bit muggy. The townspeople and older Hogsmeade students visiting during the weekend had seen to it that the place was packed.

Trepidation slightly pooling in her gut, Hermione followed Andromeda and Malfoy. Narcissa finally came into view, sitting at a table in the far corner. The blond witch looked out of place and well aware of that fact.

As they approached the table, Narcissa stood to her feet. Her displeased countenance melted, revealing a bright smile. It was odd seeing Narcissa this way. Without her customary look of disdain, Hermione had to admit she was quite beautiful.

"Well, Draco, aren't you going to introduce me?"

Hermione decided she was too polite to point out that they had already met once at Madame Malkin's. And hadn't there been another time? Oh, right. When she had been tortured in Malfoy Manor! Granted, it was in the past, and Narcissa and her family had switched allegiances in the end, but Hermione still had some residual resentment towards the woman.

"Of course, mother. Hermione, this is my mother, Narcissa. Mum, this is Hermione."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Granger." Narcissa extended her hand, and Hermione reluctantly shook it. The woman's touch was as light as a feather. Hermione loosened her grip, feeling somewhat like a gorilla.

"Thank you, Mrs. Malfoy." she said.

"Please, call me Narcissa." Hermione nodded her head, but didn't give Narcissa leave to call her by her Christian name.

Narcissa looked pointedly at her son, who then pulled out the chair in front of Hermione. He only sat down after the three witches had.

"I hope you don't mind, but we had been waiting a while, so I took the liberty of ordering for the both of you. Though I don't know why Andromeda chose this place. There's hardly any selection," Narcissa said.

"My sister seems to be quite forgetful today. I had already explained to you that Harry was visiting his friend Neville, who works at Hogwarts. Harry asked me to drop Teddy off there."

"We could have just as easily met in another place afterward. There is a new restaurant that recently opened up in Diagon Alley that I have been longing to visit," Narcissa said.

"And miss the chance of visiting your favorite Hogwarts haunt?" Andromeda replied.

Narcissa examined her fingernails. "Really, Andromeda, I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Of course you don't," Andromeda said.

"Mother, what is she talking about?" Malfoy asked. From the way he leaned in over the table, Hermione could tell he was more than a little interested.

Narcissa simply sat there, her mouth primly pursed.

Malfoy turned to Andromeda for answers, and the brown haired witch was more than willing to oblige. "Your mother seems to forget she had her first date here."

"Dad took you here?" Malfoy asked, disbelief clearly written across his face.

What a family of snobs. Sure, the Three Broomsticks wasn't exactly the height of fine cuisine, but Hermione thought it homey and warm.

"This was before your father," Narcissa said, frowning slightly at her sister.

Hermione noticed Andromeda smile, but the older witch remained quiet.

Malfoy's eyebrows had shot up to somewhere in the middle of his forehead. "You dated someone other than dad?"

"No one worth mentioning, dear. I can't even remember his name. Besides, I was not the first witch your father dated either."