chapter 34

QOTD (sent in by UnknownCharactre ):
Why did you decide to read this story?

►lol it's kinda egotistical of author-chan to ask this //shot
so? well??? *flips hair*

"This is ironic, isn't it?" [Name] commented, admiring the ornate portraits of Hyrule's previous monarchs scattered across the crumbling walls. Zelda hummed, following the red-eyed girl's line of vision.

"How so?"

"Shouldn't the Sheikah be the one saving the princess?"

"Oh..." Zelda's face darkened, guilt nibbling at her conscience. "No, I owe you this and more. It's my ancestors' fault your kind has gone nearly extinct."

[Name]'s breath hitched.

"No, it's not..." she soothed, but not even she herself knew what had happened to the other members of her tribe. Even Auru - the wise mentor who had the privilege of mentoring the princess herself - had little information regarding the subject.

Zelda sighed. "I can't leave the premises. Just continue on from here; you'll make it outside. Remain cautious, though. I'm certain you'll encounter at least a few monsters."

[Name] stopped walking, staring ahead at the castle's exit. She furrowed her brows. "And the barrier..?"

"Doesn't reach that far." The brunette nodded reassuringly. "Oh, and, take this."

From inside her cloak, she pulled out a narrow longsword. [Name] recognized it as her own, which was lost when Ghirahim plucked it out of her grasp hours ago. Back when she thought they were going to the past together. . .

She accepted the weapon, deciding against explaining that it was rightfully hers anyway. She then began walking toward the castle's exit.

"It's regrettable I can't go with you," Zelda called. "Please, tell whoever you can that I'm alright. Best of luck!"

"Same for you, Zelda!"

Normally the princess would have corrected anyone who'd refer to her without proper honorifics. But for now, she let it slide. After all — for the time being, her title as monarch no longer existed.

*le timeskip*

Din dammit, my leg's stuck -- HOLY GODDESSES WHAT IS THAT?? No... You know what? This is cool. Everything's cool...

[Name] strode through the castle (after removing her leg from a crevice she had stepped into), eyes alert and focused on any little thing that moved. Of course she'd come back; she wasn't about to just leave Ghirahim here. As insolent and violent as he was. He said he never loved her yet he came back and freed her of her bindings. For that, she wanted an explanation.

Wait, what if he didn't, and you're just making up excuses to see him again?

Shut up, me.

Okay ;-;

This castle made her head all fuzzy.

"Wouldn't it be awkward to run into Zelda again, aha..." She chuckled to herself, snapping her head to the side when she caught sight of a tapestry, gently moving in the breeze. She sighed. "Very awkward..."

Her sword was tucked safely in her sheath, resting against her hip. So far, she hadn't run into any enemies. So far.

But she made sure not to jinx that. She wasn't in the mood to deal with ---