Chapter 19

Warnings: None

~Jerome's P.O.V.~

     "So the Dimensional kingdom... That's still like a week away isn't it?" Preston asks, stepping over a small puddle with a wary glance.
     "Yep. On this path, we'll be heading through a swamp, ocean, desert, and plains biome before we get there. And then we just have to make our way through the Ice spikes biome and voila, we have one half of the Dimensional kingdom." Vikk confirms, eyes turning to the sky as he lists off the trek from memory. "Of course our other option is heading to their Nether base, which would be a lot quicker, but it's way too risky and we don't have a portal."
     "Honestly, I'd rather go through the Nether." Preston shrugs.
     "Of course you would," I laugh, "You're made of lava! It wouldn't affect you. And plus heading through the desert is tough enough with all my thick fur. But I've been in the Nether... And it still surprises me how I can manage to fight and get out of there alive without dying of overheating."
     Preston scoffs, "Sure, and crossing a swamp, ocean, and ice spikes biome is going to be a piece of cake for me. In case you haven't noticed, I'm made of lava, and I could literally die." He hints, rolling his eyes.
     "Don't worry Preston, we'll find a way to get you through." Rob tries to assure him, "Even if it means we have to spend a bit more time doing it."
     "Speaking of which," Mitch interjects, gazing straight ahead, "Looks like we reached the swamp sooner than expected."
"Fudge."

      The trees have gradually been spacing out, and it's been getting wetter as we've continued in our journey. Now, easily visible, is an expanse of murky water and the occasional mound of land, with a few vined trees. There a few squids swimming around here and there, and a few wild sheep are grazing on one of the dirt mounds in the swamp. We stop at the edge of the forest biome, just before the grass becomes lush, squish, and wet, and the air becomes more humid and stale. Preston stays a few paces back, glancing nervously at the moist ground.

     "So how are we going to get him across?" Mitch questions, jerking a thumb back at Preston.
     "How about we make a boat and push him across?" Vikk suggests.
     "Nuh-uh. There's no way I'm getting in a wobbly wooden boat." Preston refuses, shaking his head stubbornly.
     "Well do you have a better idea?" Vikk challenges, "Unless you want one of us to carry you, this is the only efficient way to get you across."
     "As much as I'd hate to agree," Rob sighs, looking at Preston, "Vikk's right."

    Preston stares nervously at the water ahead, and then his eyes flicker back to Mitch, Rob, Vikk, and I. I nod slightly to give him reassurance. Then Preston sighs, nodding slowly.

     "Fine." He grumbles. "But one of you has to carry me to the water."

After a brief discussion on who's going to do what, we set off to do our various tasks. Which in all honesty isn't much at this point. Rob takes the liberty of carrying Preston to the water, which is actually pretty dangerous because if Preston gets scared and heats up, well... You can imagine how that'd go. Mitch and Vikk go with them, meanwhile I backtrack to the nearest tree to gather some wood. Over the past few days we've run pretty low on supplies, so we'll need to get some more soon. But for now, all I need to do is grab three logs. One to make a crafting table, and another two to make a boat so we can push Preston through the swamp.

Pulling Betty out, I raise the diamond blade over my head, and plunge it into the oak tree. The wood splinters, and in a couple more hits, a miniature version of the log is spinning on the ground. I scoop it up and repeat the process two more times, leaving me with three oak logs and a tree defying gravity and levitating in the air. I glance at it for a moment, questioning all of reality, and then I start to head towards the water. Vikk and Rob are talking as Preston clings onto Rob's back for dear life. Mitch is gazing at the murky water disdainfully, probably fretting the time when he'll have to wade through it for hours. I set down the crafting bench and quickly throw together a boat, placing the raft down in the water.

"Alright that should be it then. Does everyone have enough food to last for a couple days?" I verify, glancing around our small circle.

Everyone voices their agreements.

"Alright so Mitch, you'll be pushing Preston first." I declare, Mitch nodding.
As Rob moves to place Preston in the oak boat, he eyes the water cautiously. "Rob if you drop me, I swear I will come back from the dead and kill you."
"Calm down, Preston. I'm not going to drop you." Rob assures him, stepping into the ankle-high water and gently lowering Preston into the boat.
"Lead the way, Vikk." Mitch states, stepping into the water and positioning himself behind Preston.

Vikk hops into the water, sending up a small spray of liquid (much to Preston's discontent) and begins to wade forward. Mitch follows, pushing Preston along, and then Rob and I continue in the back. I look towards the sun, already almost at its peak, and then the expanse of swamp stretching before us. I frown to myself.

"Something wrong, Jerome?" Rob inquires, noticing my troubled expression.
"Not really..." I mumble, glancing once again at the sky. "I just hope it doesn't become night before we get across here."

~~~

"I'm begging to think... We should have made boats for everyone." Vikk huffs, kicking himself above the water once again, and propelling Preston forward.
     The action causes the boat to wobble, and Preston yelps in surprise. "Watch it, Vikk! Less talking more swimming!"
     "You're not the one pushing an occupied boat in water that's over your head!" Vikk snaps back, kicking forward once again.

     The ground has been dipping up and down constantly, and more often than not we all find ourselves having to swim in deep water, where our feet can't touch the squishy dirt below. Vikk, Mitch, Rob, and I have switched regularly pushing Preston, but it's still tiring nonetheless. The only reason we don't stop to take a break is because it's crucial to get across this swamp before the sun sets. According to Vikk, there's a strip of birch forest before the ocean, and we can rest there's and craft some boats. But... As I look to the sky for the millionth time, my hope drops even lower. At this rate, the sun is going to set before we get to the birch trees, and we're going to be stuck fighting mobs in the water. And my fears are only worsened as, off in the distance, I see the shine of a spiders eyes.

     "Look guys! I see a few trees up ahead!" Preston suddenly calls from is place in the boat, perking up and pointing ahead.
     "Oh thank goodness." Rob sighs, bobbing up in the water and gliding forward.
     "Um, we may have once tiny problem." I state, my voice filling with dread.
     "And that would be?" Mitch pushes.
     "Mobs are begging to spawn."

~~~
Question of the chapter:

Left or right?

My answer: Right