12. Skylark

12. Skylark

I lay down on the roof, my eyes closed, catching some sleep. I was alone up here, skipping class. I pulled an all-nighter last night on my live show, so I guess some shut-eye is okay...

"Herbivore."

Ah, I forgot about him. How could I forget about him? I forced an eye open, looking up at the black-haired prefect. "Hi, Hibari-senpai, could you give me a moment?"

No, Hibari-sama had no moments to give.

I rolled over in time to dodge a tonfa. Gods, I'm glad for the exercise, but I'm not in the mood for this! A tonfa came at me from the right, and I took a step back, then swerved aside and away from the next swing.

The next tonfa came from above- and my hands moved on instinct. A light push to Hibari's wrist sent the hand recoiling backwards. Hibari was surprised for only a moment before a tonfa came butting at my stomach. I cringed for a moment before I had to get up to dodge the next tonfa.

The fight went on. And on- I wasn't exactly hating it- but I wasn't exactly enjoying it. I was sucked into the flow of the battle, absorbed in the exchanging of blows. Then at one point, I just forgot.

I forgot who I was, where I was and who I was fighting. At that point, I was just a fighter sparring with an enemy at the cost of my life.

I thought back to that one moment.

That moment I- That moment she was weak. That moment she was too powerless to protect herself. That moment she just up and was defeated in mere seconds. That moment that led to her death.

And a swell of anger rose in the pits of my stomach.

My hand slipped past his wrist to his forearm, gripping it tightly. The other hand moved under his elbow and in one swift motion, I threw him overhead and sent him flying in a self-improvised judo-flip.

I breathed out, then in, and out. I was catching my breath. Adrenaline was soothing out.

Then I realized what I'd done.

I quickly let go, proceeding into a dogeza position with my head on the floor. "I'm sorry, Hibari-senpai!" I apologize quickly, hoping I'd be spared from imminent death.

When I peeked up, Hibari was sighing. He was sitting up now, resting an arm on a lifted knee. He eyed me amusingly for a long moment, before letting out an uncharacteristical smirk.

Ohhh no.

I clasped my hands together in time to catch a tonfa aimed at the middle of my head.

This fight isn't ending anytime soon, is it?

-----

"Ninomiya, NO!" Kuma-sensei was enraged enough to snap at me fiercely enough I swear he can he heard in the classrooms. He pointed at the bed, the frown on his face murderous as he cursed under his breath about moronic suicidal freaks.

"I'm sorry." was my simple response, "A Skylark attacked me."

-----

"What happened to you, Take?" I asked.

"Hm?" he seemed confused at the question, "what do you mean?"

He was visibly disturbed by something. He's had something on his mind the whole time since he entered the infirmary. I can tell, because I've known him since we were young. His smile was a little more forced than usual, and his conversations doesn't seem to flow.

Really, he was quite easy to read.

"What's on your mind?" I ask, a smirk growing on my face as I bop him in the forehead lightly with my fist.

He returned that by messing around with my hair. "Nothing!" and his smile was back. He pushed my head down so I was lying down on the bed again, "You catch some sleep and skip more class. I'm gonna head back to PE."

I chuckle. "Have fun." I say, "Today's basketball, right? I hope you win."

Takeshi pumped his fist, "Oh, I will!" he promised. "Oh, I'll probably be staying late after school today for extra practice, so I won't be walking with ya."

No, That alerted me. Before I could think any further, I'd jumped up and grabbed his sleeve. That's the flag. Yamamoto staying late after school for extra practice. It's nearly time for that. The Yamamoto suicide episode.

"Hm?" he asked.

I couldn't hold back the scared expression on my face. I was fearful, worried, concerned. I don't know why. I mean, I myself know it'll turn out fine. I know he's gonna survive.

But I just had a really, really bad feeling. I was just really scared. Scared at the thought of my only best friend committing suicide.

I don't want to see it. Even in the anime, this scene never sat well with me. Yamamoto Takeshi, a boy that always smiled- jumping off the building because of failure.

A bright shining star disappears if it becomes a shooting star.

Takeshi--suicidal? That was the last thing I would've believed. It seemed almost ridiculous. Before I died the first time, I thought that. But now I know what can break a person. And failure in the eyes of high expectations was one of the many.

My grip reluctantly loosened as I struggled to keep my face straight.

"Oh-Uh- Not.. Nothing. Good luck with practice!" I forced out, the few words costing all my mental strength. I had to hold my breath so I wouldn't burst into a panic attack.

He looked skeptical. He put a hand on my head and rubbed it gently. "Don't worry!" he assured. His smile was normal. bright, sweet Takeshi. "I'll be fine!"

I know he wasn't fine.