15 ↝ mixed feelings & wrong timings

Mackenzie Ziegler
23 June 2017

•••

I hear car tires crunching on the gravel, and grinning, I run over to the window. It's Hayden. I invited him over because Johnny's being flat out confusing at the moment and I decided I need someone who can make me laugh. I watch him get out of his car and make a move to the stairs, so I calm my heartbeat and move to open the sliding doors. Taking a step outside,  I adjust my shirt and flick my hair off my shoulders.

"Hey." He greets, smiling, as he pulls some shades off his eyes.

"Hey." I return, and move in for a hug.

"How are you my gorgeous girl?" He says into my shoulder. 

I wrinkle my nose. His girl?

"I'm good." I manage to get out, before releasing our hug. "What do you want to do today?"

"I don't mind, what do you want to do?" He asks, and I internally cringe. I'd rather a clear cut answer; like I want to go to the beach or I'm really hungry can we please eat like with Johnny. Yes means yes, and no means no. Wait... what am I doing?

"Well do you want to go surfing? Or go on the beach, or watch a movie..." I trail off, making suggestions and keeping my eyes trained on his.

"A movie sounds good." He smiles.

"Okay." I reply, internally protesting about this turn of events. A movie, on a day like this? Clear, blue skies and a scorching hot sun? Wow.

With Hayden completely oblivious to my silent objections, we soon head inside and I kneel down by the tv cabinet as he takes a seat on the couch. Thumbing through the decisions, I pull out a few of my favourites. Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Pitch Perfect, Signs, Matilda... ah. Lets see if he has good taste.

"Here's some good ones. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is actually hilarious, same with Pitch Perfect... Signs is really scary... and Matilda is a classic. Pick any." I say, and I see him give me a sly grin.

"Signs sounds good." He says cheekily, and I turn around, putting the disk into the player.

"Good choice. But don't wet your pants." I say, smiling, and he then sounds confused.

"Is it that bad?" He asks.

"Why?"

"I legit have the weakest bladder." He laughs awkwardly, and I wince behind his back. Normally I would find that hilarious, but today that's embarrassing. 

I force out a stupid laugh and act like I'm dying to ease the tension. He laughs too, lapping it right up. When I've set the dvd in the player and changed the tv to the right mode, I get up to pull the curtains across and notice that Hayden's already done most of it.

"Thanks." I say, genuinely smiling, and he shrugs. 

"Allgood."

•••

[526 words]

Trouble in paradise? I think so ;) So now Mackenzies annoyed at Hayden, but shes fighting with John! Poor her, she's having bad luck with boys at the moment lol. Please comment your thoughts below and give it a vote if you want to xx

*edited