Chapter Three

Defence Against The Dark Arts was the one class she hated. The teacher was a book smart but Cassandra was willing to bet her soul that she had no practical experience. She only made an effort to remember very few names, namely the boys in the class

James Potter, Sirius Black, Jamie Pennant and Cormack McGuire were the only students she ever really noticed, no wonder when they were some of the best looking lads in the year.

There were four Slytherins in this class who very obviously manoeuvred their seats so Cassandra could join them, she took a seat down the back of the class.

"Okay class, so as we've finished our last chapter I was thinking we'd keep up with current affairs and start our study on werewolves. I know we're a few chapters away but now seems like as good a time as any." The whole class froze. Every single one of them. Professor Belle obviously didn't get the hint. Cassandra stared resolutely at the blackboard behind Professor Belle's head and said nothing when people eventually began to look at her.

"Can anyone tell me anything about werewolves?" She asked and Cassandra dropped her head so she wouldn't snort in laughter.

Yeah, there's one sitting two seats in front of me.

Someone gathered enough bravery to say something about werewolves being influenced by the moon's phases and Cassandra sighed, running her fingers through her hair.

"I think we could make this into a case study, we don't get to do many of them in this class." Cassandra could hear the blood rushing through her ears and it reminded her of the ocean. When she was six she had lived by the ocean for a few short months before they were forced to move again.

"A case study?" One of the Hufflepuffs, Serena Hill, asked softly. She was nice, albeit a little shy. Took none of the Slytherin prejudice crap, her best friend was a NEWT level Slytherin.

"Yes, let's focus on notable werewolves in today's society. Can anyone think of a werewolf who's been causing a stir lately?" Cassandra wanted to remind her that they weren't five, instead, she raised her hand.

"Grant Herald. He's a werewolf who had money through his family and is producing wolfsbane for werewolves who can't afford to buy it through the ministry." She supplied and Professor Belle smiled blandly.

"Not exactly who I was looking for, anyone else?" She asked the class and a particularly smarmy looking Ravenclaw, whose name she had never learned, spoke up.

"Fenir Greyback." He gave a sickly sweet smile in Cassandra's direction while he spoke and she glared at him.

"It's Fenrir." She corrected before turning her head. What could Professor Belle possibly say?

"Ah yes, Fenrir Greyback, a terrifying creature." Cassandra took a deep breath and took on what she hoped was a neutral expression. "What do we know about him?"

She moved to the blackboard and charmed to chalk to write as she spoke. Fenrir's name appeared on the board and then hovered in waiting.

"He was a murderer." James Potter supplied. The chalk wrote his words but Belle hesitated.

"I'm looking for something unique to Greyback, most wolves are murderers." She told him and his face fell. Sirius Black clenched his fist in anger before taking a deep breath. Cassandra felt the tiniest bit of satisfaction that his words had come back to slap him in the face.

"No, they aren't." Cassandra beat him to it.

"I'm sorry?" Professor Belle asked.

"80% of werewolves have never killed another human. 40% of werewolves have never even harmed another human." Cassandra told her and she blinked. Cassandra had made a point of keeping as up to date with werewolf statistics and news as possible and she wouldn't be fought.