34| LIVE WIRE

The doctors didn't have much to say to Callas before she left to go back to an empty home on Saturday. Despite how desperate she was to at least know something. She hated that the world had shoved her into a dark corner with nothing to go on. But maybe it was for the best. Embry had called his mum and told her that he was staying over at Jacobs, when he was really just staying over at Callas's to make sure that she didn't have a breakdown in the middle of the night. Apparently, the boys had already come up with the plan on the Saturday—which was probably the phone call Embry took while she tried to get a hold of Reed. Jacob had brought Embry some spare clothes for him to change into for school on the Sunday for Monday. It was odd, not having anyone, besides Embry, in the house like usual. It didn't feel like home, but rather an empty house. Callas didn't like it.

     Embry had driven the Jeep to school, Callas stayed quiet, mulling things over in her head while Embry hummed the tune of the song that was playing over the radio. It had been raining nonstop over the weekend and it didn't stop on Monday either. All Callas had to do was get through five days of school, and possibly the dance, before she was able to rest for a week in the comfort of her quiet room, reading silently to herself for hours. Maybe Reed would come home. Maybe he wouldn't. All Callas knew was that she was beginning to get sick of leaving voicemails on his phone every hour over the past couple of days. Soon, there wouldn't be any space left on his phone for her voicemails, she expected it to happen sooner, but maybe he was listening to them after all, but Sam Uley wasn't allowing him to respond. Wherever he was, she was sure that he could pick up a phone and text her something, to let her know that he was okay, after all, she now knew he was alive thanks to Embry letting it slip. Embry pulled into an empty space next to Jacobs bike, he cut the engine and blew out a puff of air, leaning back on the chair.

     "I'll see you at lunch?"

     Callas hummed. "Yeah."

     "Or will you be in the library?"

     Callas hummed again. "Yeah."

     Embry nodded his head stiffly, just before he got out of the Jeep. Callas breathed through her nose, getting out as well. At a largo pace, she made her way around the Jeep. Embry put the keys in his bag before he made his way towards the school doors. The rain was pouring down lightly, Callas began to walk a bit faster, making her way to Embry's side, hesitantly grabbing hold of his hand, keeping her gaze on the ground as they walked. He squeezed her hand, holding on tightly as he used his Biology textbook to shield himself from the rain. They walked up the stairs silently, making their way to the shelter by the doors. Embry put his wet textbook in his bag. Callas pushed forward, wrapping her arms around his waist tightly, placing her head on his chest. She could feel him tense up before his arms wrapped around her tightly and his body relaxed.

     "Thank you, for staying with me."

     "I'll stay for as long as you need me."

     "I can't ask you to do that."

     "Why not?"

     "It's unfair for you to drop everything for me."

     Embry shook his head. "You're important to me, more than I thought you would be. So, I think it's more than fair for me to want to help you out and make sure that you're okay."

     Callas moved her head to look at him, resting her chin on his chest. "Thanks, Em."

     "Of course." He nodded, pressing a quick kiss to her forehead before the school doors opened with a confused looking Jacob.

     "So," he started as Callas pulled away from Embry, much to her own dismay. "What, uh, what exactly happened on the weekend between you two?" He raised an eyebrow.