nineteen

I blinked, not a word coming out of my mouth, completely shocked by his words. "What?" I asked, there was no way I'd heard him right. But the deep silence that followed proved me that I had. "When?"

He looked down, too ashamed to look at me. "A few weeks ago..." He left his words drift away. "He really is wonderful. So fresh and fun" he added looking up and widening his eyes as if he felt the sudden need to justify himself.

I couldn't believe the words that left his mouth. There was no way Liam had done such a thing. He wasn't that kind of person, he'd never been. But then again, neither had Niall. But at least Niall was drunk when he'd made his mistake. Liam wasn't. He'd consciously taken that infamous decision. "You cheated on Niall and kicked him out when he did the same?!" I hissed at him, not being able to control my feelings before opening my mouth.

He sighed. "I panicked, okay? I just... I never wanted to cheat on him. I'm happy with him." He paused, sighing again and looking down, nervously playing with his fingers. "But this boy..." He closed his eyes for a second as if neither he could believe his own words. "I'm different when I'm around him."

I shook my head, refusing to understand his reasonings. For all those years, I'd always believed that Liam and Niall's marriage was the epitome of love. They'd met and they'd almost instantly fallen for each other. But not even a year after their wedding, their marriage was crumbling to ashes before my eyes. How could two people cheat on each other, and still dare to say they love each other? That was just wrong, and untrue. "I'm totally speechless. I can't believe you, Liam."

"I need your help" he said with a hopeless sigh, drying the wetness under his eyes with his finger.

A felt a wave of anger wash through me, but it dissipated only a matter of seconds after. "Oh really?"

He passed his hand in his hair nervously, messing it up. "What do I do?"

I shook my head, staring at the ground. "I don't know."

"Should I tell him? Or should I just forgive him and pretend nothing happened?" He asked again.

"How am I supposed to know! But I do know something, and it's that you have to get Niall to come back" I told him angrily, standing up and finishing the cup of coffee he'd prepared, leaving it on the coffee table. "Now, I don't really feel like hanging out anymore. I'll just go. We both have enough things to think about."

He nodded sadly. "You're right."

"Your coffee is good, by the way" I said as I grabbed my coat and walked out of the door.

I started walking towards my workplace in a slow pace, not feeling like being surrounded by people so soon and wondering if I should've called Niall. I decided not to, though, because I was still very upset by what Liam had just told him and didn't want to risk it slipping out accidentally while talking to him. It would've just upset Niall even more, especially if he'd discovered it from me instead of him. They had to sort that mess out on their own, it was the only way to do it. For how much it hurt me to see my two best friends in such a situation, I knew nobody could truly fix it but themselves. I could just wait on the sidelines, hoping that everything would've turned out okay in the end and offering them my support in case they needed it. If something like that would've ever been okay, that was.

I pulled out my phone and called my mother, that of course took it as her chance to update me on the latest gossip. It didn't matter how many times I tried to tell her it really was none of my interest, I soon got to know everything about the new cat of aunt Jessie, Michael's ex girlfriend and how they broke up - just to prove that you should just not tell your own mother about your love life, all the challenges my dad had encountered at work in the past week, and a thousand of other things that I didn't know I needed to know.