Wattpad Original

Chapter 57

The call with Jess lingered in my mind, and I decided a distraction was in order. The easiest way to accomplish that was to find Nicky. Even if it involved washing blankets.

The group doing laundry was easy enough to find since they were by the clotheslines. Nicky was helping the others wash clothing in large tubs of water while enjoying the sun. I meandered over and grabbed the heaviest blanket I could see.

If they thought I was being courteous by doing the hardest work, they were mistaken. It was simply the most likely piece of fabric to survive if my nails dug into it a bit. Something that could slice through deer hide wasn't exactly easy on bedding.

One of the washing tubs by Nicky was open, so I grabbed a blanket and went over there. Nicky gave me a quick welcoming grin before running a pair of jeans through the wringer.

I stuffed the blanket into the warm soapy water, although the stubborn thing wanted to float. After a quick glance around to see what other people were doing, I used the wooden stick leaning against the tub to push the blanket under the water.

Still watching the others in my peripheral vision, I took notes on what they were doing and copied their actions. I preferred to wash my bedding myself, so this was something I'd have to figure out. One day, I might even try sleeping underneath my covers.

A scent grew stronger, and I turned my head to see Nina walking over. I poked the blanket some more, then spun it around in the water to let the soap get into every crease.

Nina sat on a nearby stool with a notepad in her hands. "Mind if I sit here and talk while you work?"

I regarded the brown-haired lady, knowing she probably had dozens of questions already jotted down. "Fine, but keep the questions to a minimum. This group won't thank me for helping if my fingernails rip the blankets in irritation."

"It's hard to contain my enthusiasm once I get going," Nina replied with a grin, "but I can try."

I snorted and waited as she took her time reading over whatever was in her notebook.

"I'm surprised you're doing laundry instead of relaxing in the forest at this time of day."

"I felt like a change."

She nodded absently. "As long as you don't feel like you have to put in extra work because you plan on staying here."

Her comment almost made me pause. Ever since I'd heard my sister was coming here, I had been doing additional work. Ever since I decided to stay, I had become subconsciously more invested in this place and the work needed to keep it running.

I scrubbed the wet fabric with a rough brush from beside the tub and dunked it a few times. It was slightly satisfying to see some dirt swirl around in the previously clean water.

"In case you hadn't heard, the mechanics finished fixing the side-by-side," Nina said. "The keys are in it."

"Awesome!" Nicky exclaimed. "Does that mean we can go pick berries now?"

"Not until you finish that pile," I told her.

"Drat."

Getting a firm hold on the blanket, I shook it underwater and swooshed it around, trying to get any possible remaining dirt out.

"Sheesh," Nicky commented. "That poor blanket. If you're daydreaming about drowning someone like that, I sure hope it isn't me."

I snorted. "There are a few people out there who I wouldn't mind dunking and pummeling in such a fashion, although none of them are in this Stronghold."