Chapter 5

The distribution center, as usual, was full of noise and activity as the boys waited in line for their papers. Davey glanced up at the headline again, squinting in the bright sunlight

Choker Again Hiding?

"What do ya think Dave?" Jack asked from his spot next to Davey.

"It's okay. Better than usual."

"Just okay?" Jack laughed. "Today's gonna sell great! Specs, what's it say?"

The boy, who had been first in line that day, quickly read through the short article about the politician hiding out at the Wawayanda Club. As he read, all the newsies grinned, only growing happier with each word.

"Boys!" Jack called, drawing their attention. "Davey here said that fantastic article wese got today was only 'okay'. I thinks that he just needs a little inspiration. Why don't wese help him out? Elmer, you got somethin'?"

"'Course I do. How abouts 'Croker Attacks Gentlemen In Broad Daylight!'"

"Not bad," Jack said. "What about you Ike?"

Ike, who stood next to Mike, grinned. "Easy. 'Croker and the Irish Gangs Take Over Gentlemen's Club!'"

"I got a line better than both of those," Albert bragged.

"Alright, let's hear it," Romeo challenged.

"Extry! Extry! Mayor Van Wyck Stranded on Island With Infamous Boss Croker!" A few boys clapped as Albert bowed with a smirk on his face.

"But he isn't, I mean, the mayor's a member there but-"

"Dave, I never thought I'd say it, but take some advice from Albert. That was almost as good as something I could come up with," Jack said, wrapping his arm around Davey's shoulder.

"Jack, I just don't feel comfortable lying, you know that."

"I know Dave, and you know what? If you can afford to not lie and still have enough food to eat, then don't. But you are the one who's feedin' your family right now, and sometimes that' a little more important."

Davey sighed, still unhappy, but knowing that Jack was right. "I'll try it."

"Don't worry Davey! You'll be fine!" Jack encouraged. "You can't be worse than Buttons over there!"

"Hey!" Buttons exclaimed.

"Hey yaself, this ain't your conversation, don't be eavesdroppin'."

Davey stepped up to the counter and bought his normal sixty papers before splitting them with Les. Jack stood next to him as the boys started to leave.

"Really Dave, you can do this. You'll sell just fine, and we ain't doin' nothin' the reporters didn't already do in the article."

"I know. C'mon Les, it's time to go selling."

***

All of Spot's boys knew that when he was on the docks he was thinking and when he was thinking, he was to be left alone. That's why he was so surprised to hear footsteps approaching as he sat on the edge of the dock, boots sitting next to him, and feet dangling in the water.

The sound had a strange rhythm, Spot determined it to be caused by a limp. He waited, giving the person a chance to come to their senses and leave him alone before he snapped at them. The person didn't turn around though, they just kept hurrying towards him.

"Spot!" The intruder panted. "Spot!"

"What do you want?" Spot snapped, turning to face the boy. As soon as he saw him, Spot froze.