(8) Dreamality

My footsteps carried me down the hall. It was dark out, but I was wide awake. I stopped walking for a moment so I could look at myself in a nearby mirror. God, what was I wearing? I didn't even know I had packed it. From my body flowed a long, ghost-like white nightgown with huge, wide sleeves. I shrugged, assuming it was something an Omega had helped me put on when I was half awake.

I went to take another step, but before I could lift my foot from the carpet I was on the ground. Searing pain ripped through my shoulder, causing me to cry out in agony- but no sound escaped my lips. Danger flooded my senses. I tried to push myself up onto my feet, and I succeeded just barely. I couldn't turn around, I just ran.

I rounded corner after corner. The world around me became darker and darker as my shoulder started to numb. I was desperate to find somebody, anybody to save me from what was chasing me, but there wasn't a person in sight. No guards, no pack members, no Omegas. Left, right, right, left, right.

I rounded one last corner when I saw it. At the end of the hallway stood a large, intricately carved wooden door. It seemed ominous, almost as if dark energy was radiating off of it. The second I stopped running, I was hit by another blow. This time, though, I flipped onto my back. I scrambled to scoot backwards away from my attacker, trying to shift but finding myself unable to. A tall, dark figure loomed over me. It's fiery red eyes blazed through me, filled with an emotion I couldn't quite place.

It drew back a hand, and in a flash my torso was red with blood. Somehow the attacks were so fast, I couldn't see any movement from the figure standing over me. Hell, I could barely see at all anymore. My vision was blurred with pain and tears. Everything around me was turning dark, there was ringing- no, screaming in my ears, and I was slowly loosing my grip on reality...

I sprung straight up into a sitting position in bed. A startled looking Omega stood next to me, and I realized she was holding my hand. Her brow was laced with sweat.

"U-um... are you ok ma'am?" Her timid voice broke the awkward silence. "You were screaming and writhing in your sleep."

"Oh, uh... yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bad dream I guess. Hey, what time is it now?"

"Three o'clock in the morning. I can fetch you some water, if you'd like. It might help cool you off."

"Sure, I'll take some water. Thanks."

Once the Omega had scurried from the room, I relaxed my muscles and stood from the bed. What was that dream about? The clothes, the running, the attacks, the strange door, the figure... it made no sense. I had to weigh my options.

I could ask Arnold about it, but he would probably think I was crazy. If I told Sasha, she'd report it to both Alpha Wise and Alpha Vale, and I'd be dead in the water. If I told Marcus, he'd probably never talk to me again, and I'd once more have only Arnold to talk to. My eyes wandered to the bedside table that had my cell phone on it. I bit my lip, trying to decide whether to make the call.

In a flash, the phone was in my hand and I was dialing Alexa's number. It was early, but I knew she would answer eventually. We hadn't had a real conversation since right before I left for this trip, so she would have to pick up the phone. After six rings, I heard her voice on the other end of the line.

"MmnnnrrRaven..." she said, yawning loudly into the phone. "Wwhhy are you callimng so eearrleeee..."

"Listen, Alexa. I know it's 3 am but I have something we need to talk about. It involves the future Alpha of this pack, a dead girl, and my... mate." I could almost hear her sit straight up in attention when I said the word.

"Ooo girl, I'm listening. I need juicy details- spill."

"Ok, ok. Before we get to details, I have to brief you on my visit. Then, I have something I need you to do..."