Thirty-Eight

The season of spring is the time of year where the cold begins to thaw out and the sun returns to it's rightful place. The cold, bitter winter air does not last forever. Instead, the sun replaces the gloomy, dark clouds and the warm breeze kisses the numb cheeks of those who roam about. Flowers begin to take it's place amongst the dirt. Birds return from the south and sing joyous songs throughout the city. It is during the spring season that people are awaken from their dark corners. It is during these days in April that the grass looks a little greener, the sky is a little bluer, and the people are a little happier.

March had ended and April had begun. The month had flown by quickly and soon enough the days of May started to approach. Over the course of April, neither Harry nor Ava have made any effort to talk to the other. Perhaps it was their own pride or stubborn behaviours, but they had both seemingly decided to not once talk to the other. The only bridge the bounded the two ex-lovers together was the peppy blonde named Rose.

Rose had become the middle woman between the two. She had witnessed the breaking point of Harry, and the slow repair of his heart. She had seen and walked beside Ava as she worked on her own self-awakening. It was throughout the month of April that Ava had found herself.

She realized that she had been caring a lot of baggage on her back. Since the death of her mother, she had taken on the responsibility to fend for herself. She never had the time to grieve her mothers death properly. Instead, she was pushed into the world of work and adulthood. Not only that, but she not once truly grieved her lost of innocence in which Scott had taken from her. It was during the month of April that she had really took a real look at her life and grieved. She grieved over her fathers passing, her loss of innocence, as well as her mothers passing. Not only did she grieve those events of her past, but she grieved over the loss of her one true love. She grieved over Harry.

The saying that distance makes the heart grow fonder had never been more true to Ava than it had been during the month of April. The more that she was away from him, the more she regretted her decision to push Harry away. She was in love. She needed him. Her soul screamed his name every night and the more that she was away the more she longed to be closer.

Before Ava could even have the chance to catch up, April had came to an end and May was here. The last few days of the month that lead to May 4th had consisted of filling out Visa paperwork, finding an apartment in LA, and subletting her home for the summer. It had been a stressful week, but it was finally done and May was finally here. It was time for her summer; it was time for California.

There are many things that Ava has found herself to be thankful for. Hot Chocolate, a good novel, cozy sweaters were just a few things that she had express an immense amount of gratitude for. But the one thing, or person, that had topped the list had been Jacey. Right now, in this moment of transition, she couldn't have asked for anyone else, and for that she was thankful.

The drive to the airport was full of the sweet sounds of Beyonce and sniffles. As Jacey pulled up to the airport, Ava looked over at the one girl she would consider her sister. She had a small smile on her face but kept her eyes on the steering wheel.

"This sucks." She breathed out.

"I know." Ava said. "I'm going to really miss you!"

"Me too."

Jacey looked up from her place in the drivers seat and turned so that she was now facing her friend. She had a gloomy smile plastered on her usual bubbly face. "Be sure to message me every day and have fun! You're in a new country full of new and exciting people. Meet a guy and get laid. You deserve it!" She wrapped her hands around Avas and gave it a small squeeze.

"I will text you once I land."

"Please promise me you will have fun."

"I'll try."