Chapter 15

"Happy Birthday Susanna!" Emmeline says excitedly as she enters the O'Malley's home.  She wraps her friend in a hug and hands her the bouquet of flowers she had collected from her garden. "The daisies weren't quite ready to be picked yet but I thought these would make a nice addition to your bedside table."

"Thank you Emmeline. I shall get them in a vase straight away. Oh it has been far too long since you have visited." Susanna says to her friend eagerly.

"I know. I am quite sorry. Things have been rather busy at home. It seems I am always behind on my home visits but I am here now."

"So I shall enjoy the time we have together. It's hard being best friends with a working woman. I've heard you've caused a bit of a scandal in regards to the earl. You almost caused the ruination of his daughter I am told." The pair walk into the modest parlor and take a seat on the settee.

"She and I were merely hunting for fairies when she slipped in the mud. Of course sourpuss Wilbourn was there and made quite the show of how inappropriately I was behaving and how I could cause the end to the Hargrave's good name."

"So it is merely talk, you are not that well aquatinted with the earl? Mother heard from Mrs. Gibson that you have been seen leaving Moreland Park late in the evening."

"He has employed me as a governess of sorts to his daughter after her sickness. It seems she has been having a hard time adjusting to the countryside and I have been able to introduce her to it while the earl works. His cook was a great friend of my mother's so I have been spending some time with her as well."

"But you have met the earl, and know him well?" Susanna asks eagerly.

"Not well, he is a kind man from what I do know of him. His daughter consumes his world. I do not know much else of him. I am sure Lydia would be able to tell you more. Her mother is determined to get a marriage proposal from him."

"Ah yes, the daughter of a high ranking family in the area would be the perfect match for the largest catch."

"Enough about the earl, I want to hear all about your trip to London. Was it all you dreamed it to be?"

"Oh Emmy it was marvelous," Susanna gushes, "I do believe I made a good impression on my aunt. She offered to let me stay after Christmas so that I may finish my lessons and come out to society in the spring. She even predicts a possibility of entering Almacks. Can you picture it? Me a simple daughter of a country banker entering the great halls. It makes me swoon just to think of it. Mama of course will have to go on without me for a few months but I do believe the advantageous marriage that could be acquired is worth it."

"Oh Susanna, that would be wonderful! I went once with Dr. Keller. I hardly remember what it was like other than it was quite lovely. I don't remember ever seeing more elegantly dressed people."

"You should come with me! I am sure my aunt would not mind another young lady, why we could have a run of the whole town!"

"My dear, you don't want to impose on your aunt. It was already very kind of her to allow you to stay for the fortnight." Mr. O'Malley says as he enters the room. "Good evening Emmeline."

"You know I cannot leave Papa. There is too much work to be done around here. Besides I already had my time in London. I am in no hurry to go back."

"You're right, but it would be splendid wouldn't it? The two of us with all that high society."

"Yes it could be marvelous fun."

"Ladies, your mother wished for me to tell you it is time for dinner. You can continue your fantastical conversation during the meal." The three rise and enter the modest dining room.

"Has Susanna informed you of her exquisite time in London yet?" Mrs. O'Malley asks Emmeline as the group sits down at the table.

"Oh yes, it sounded wonderful."

"It was, it really was," Susanna says passionately, "Have you written Aunt Diana yet?" She asks her mother.

"Did I tell you I would write her?" Mrs. O'Malley asks sternly. Susanna nods. "Well then I did. I do believe I saw a letter addressed to you in her hand." Mrs. O'Malley begins to break into a smile, her stern demeanor only lasting for a fleeting moment, "Why I believe it is sitting on the sideboard over there. "

"Oh mother may I open it?" Susanna asks, rising from her chair.

"I suppose so, since it is your birthday after all. But you must read it aloud as I know we are all dying to hear what it says."

Susanna jumps from her seat and retrieves the the letter, breaking the seal quickly.

"My dearest niece," Susanna reads, " It was so wonderful having you stay with me in London these past few weeks. A correspondence I received from my dear sister, your mother, has told me that you have the greatest desire to return to this fair city. As you know, the vivacity of youth is fading from me and I am unable to do the things I love most with much ease. My son Alexander resides in the north of the country most of the year and is unable to attend to me as he wishes. I told him of your predicament and we came up with a solution. If your parents allow, I wish for you to come stay with me to be my companion as I transition into the next phase of my life. It is rather lonely here without my Alexander and you seem like the perfect companion. You will be able to go out with the ton which could result in a better marriage than what could be done in Abbotshire. I shall have Alexander send your father more information. Sincerely, Diana"

"So I guess you'll be needing a few more fine dresses if you are to be a lady of the ton." Mr. O'Malley says, taking a long sip of his drink.

"Oh father may I go?" Susanna asks, her eyes wide.

"We have already made the arrangements. You will leave a week from Thursday."

"Oh thank you father, I suppose I should pay a visit to Lydia before I leave. What day do you go help Lady Margaret Emmeline? I could go with you then we could go with Lydia."

"Why I was just there this afternoon. If you can spare the time next Wednesday we could have a celebration."

"Sounds lovely to me. A send off from some of your closest friends. I am sure Lady Margaret won't mind." Mrs. O'Malley says.

"Then I will see you next Wednesday with Lydia. Oh I am too excited to eat now. I must begin packing right away. I'm sorry to leave you Emmeline. You're welcome to come help if you would like."

"It is quite alright. I am afraid I must return home anyway. I promised father I would read to him tonight."

So Emmeline left with little sadness, happy for her friend to be able to go on an adventure. Susanna had spoke of London all through her childhood and Emmeline was thoroughly pleased that her friend was going. It would be a little lonelier for Emmeline without her closest confidant but she was sure she would be alright.

---------------------------
Hi guys! Sorry about the late update. I promise you this isn't a filler chapter, it's setting the scene for Susanna's story which I plan on working on after this one is done.