The Calm Before the Storm

New Years had gone off without a hitch,  but it was time for Lauren to head back to school. Camila was bummed out because she had gotten used to the older girl staying over most nights on her Christmas break.

Camila woke up that morning, sad that Lauren wasn't around. They had talked a lot over the last few days about Lauren's options for college. She knew that her girlfriend wasn't completely ready to decide, and she was finally at a point where she was comfortable enough in their communication that she didn't need to push the subject.

Just as Camila was getting ready to climb out of the bed she got a text from her girlfriend.

Lauren: Hey, Camz. I missed waking up next to you this morning. I have practice after school, but I would love to take you to dinner if you have the time.

The younger girl smiled as she replied back to Lauren.

Camila: i would love that babe. see u later.

Camila spent the remainder of her day cleaning the house and doing some work from home for her dad. She was anxiously awaiting her date with Lauren later. She was glad that things had gotten back on the right track for them in the last few weeks.

The two girls were communicating better than they had before. Both Lauren and Camila felt content with the way their relationship was going.

It was just after 5:00 when Camila heard her phone ringing. She had quickly rushed out of the shower to answer it, being careful not to slip on the wet floor.

"Hello?" She asked out of breath, without looking at the caller id.

She smiled as she heard Lauren's raspy voice on the other end of the phone, "Hey, Camila."

The younger girl frowned as she heard the obvious frustration in Lauren's voice. "What's wrong, baby?"

"My fucking car won't start. I'm already running behind on getting back to take you out and now I can't get my car to start. It's cold as hell and I'm freezing."

"Whoa, whoa. Slow down, babe." Camila said as she put the phone on speaker and set in on her bed. She starting rifling through her clothes, trying to get dressed as quickly as possible. "Repeat what you said, and tell me what you need."

Lauren sighed on the other end, "Can you just come pick me up, please? It's been a long day and all I wanted is to see you and have dinner with you tonight, but now my car won't start."

Camila could tell that Lauren was frustrated, "Okay, baby. I will come get you. Where are you at? School or the rink?"

"The rink. We had ice practice today." Lauren said as she shivered.

The younger girl threw on some sweatpants and a baggy sweater of Lauren's before heading up the stairs. "I'm going to get Lauren, mami. Her car won't start."

Sinu just nodded, "Be safe, mija. Roads are icy. Let Lauren drive once you get there."

"Okay, mami." Camila said as she put on her jacket and walked out the front door. "I'm on my way, baby. I'll be there shortly."

"Drive safe." Lauren said before hanging up the phone. It was about 15 minutes later when Camila arrived. Lauren took her hockey bag and hoisted it on her shoulder as she walked over to the car. She opened the trunk and threw it in before heading around to the driver's side.

Lauren opened the door and smiled at Camila as she helped her out of the car. "Thank you for picking me up, love." She smiled and kissed the younger girl gently. "My parents are out at Chris's game that's like an hour from here. They won't be back until later."