Chapter 26

"Maxon Schreave."

I stood up and clapped with enthusiasm. He looked so handsome in his cap and gown, and even better in the fitted suit he is wearing underneath. He walked up to the podium and the announcer bowed formally and giggled, reaching out to Shake his hand. (Probably just wanted an excuse to hold his hand) As if he couldn't help it, he looked at her from underneath his eyelashes and kissed her hand instead. He caught my eye and I rolled them, showing him that I wasn't buying the charm. He just winked.

"America Singer."

Maxon wooped and hollered a bit too loudly and I shot him a glare. There was also cheering that was a little too loud in the general area of Maxon and I's parents. I curtsied deeply and the announcer handed me my diploma. I joined Maxon and the rest of the class on the other side of the room. I grabbed his hand and tangled my fingers with his.

We sat through the rest of the names before they presented are class. I switched the tassel to the other side and than through my cap in the air. With my hand in his, we made our way over to our parents. My mom and dad immediately pulled me into a hug. I pulled back and smile at them. I turned around and Amberley pulled me into a hug of her own. Clarkson disregarded me with a simple 'congrats'

Well than.

~oOo~

"Welcome home!" May squealed as we entered. May merely waved  at the others before bounding over to me. "It is so great to see you! I'm so happy to have you back home, when your not running away from your problems!!"

I think that last comment was supposed to be endearing. It's not. I'll just ignore it...

"Yeah," I laughed. "It's great to be here."

I think Im the only one who realized I said 'here' instead of 'home'.

She huffed. "You've barely seen any of this place. There are more rooms than just your current hiding place, for your info. I can't wait to show you around."

May turned on her heels to greet Viveca. "Vivi! It is so good to have you back for the summer. The trouble we could get into..."

They walked down a long hallway leaving the rest of us.

"I'm going to go find Kenna," Mom said and was followed her.

"I guess it's just us," Delancy chuckled. "What do you want to do?"

"I think I'll just go and unpack," I said, itching to get away.

"Is that code for 'go and video chat Maxon'?" She asked, knowingly.

I just winked.

~oOo~

"Hey there," I drawled, once his face appeared on the screen. "What are you doing?"

"I hope this doesn't sound pathetic after everything we've been through together. But I've been sitting by my computer waiting for you to call," he admitted, blushing slightly.

"Don't be embarrassed. I would of called you the second I left Angeles if I had better cell connection," I laughed.

I stated at the screen and Maxon stared back. I was blatantly aware of the square black computer frame around his face. It just reminded me that he wasn't here and I wasn't there. The only thing keeping us together was a screen and some wires.