Chapter 27

"It's hard to do homework while you play piano!" Prim shouted.

I ignored her and continued to play as I scribble down the melody that's been stuck in my head for days now. It was pretty yet sad, with changes that would be perfect for vocals. But I'm not in the mood to write a song. I stuffed the music into my purse. I swiveled the desk chair that I stole from my desk, from the piano over to Prim and looked over her work.

"No. It's A squared plus b squared equals C squared not C. That's just the root," I corrected.

Prim scribbled the formula on the Top of her paper. "So this is 16."

"Correct," I praised.

"It is so great having you here at the palace," Prim commented.

I laughed. "It's great being here too. How's Avery doing?"

She sighed. "I want to say something witty like 'it's totally sweet having a room to myself' but it's not the same. What happened to her is terrible,you know, and she hasn't been the same since."

Avery Fadaye, sister of Prim Fadaye, good friend of mine, was severely injured during a recent rebel attack. She was hit over the head and taken into a base. She was delivered back to us in an Illean food delivery truck with a gash on her forehead and very little memory. Over the weeks she's gotten all of her memories back, but she isn't the same anymore. She's just...there.

"Her haircut is sick though," Prim laughed.

Because of the surgery performed on her head they had to Shave it. It's grown out and now Avery and Prim are sporting matching pixie cuts. Avery doesn't like it all that much though. But Prim loves it. She Must have at least 100 selfies of them from just today. The problem is...I don't think Avery is smiling in Any of them.

I smiled sadly.

"We miss you at A.P. There is nothing to gossip about without Maxerica at Angeles Prep," Prim teased.

"You did not just give us a couple name," I gasped. "Never ever call us that again."

"I love it though," She pouted. She shoved her notebooks and pencils back into her school bag and slung it over her shoulder. "Well I'll see you at dinner tonight. Bye."

Prim bid me off with two air kisses and left the room.

I wheeled my desk chair back to my desk and logged into my computer. I was greeted by a very nice pic of Maxon and I that he took. I was kissing him dramatically on the cheek and our hands were joined in the center to make a heart. I checked my messages before logging into my email.

I froze when I saw the subject of my only email. You're done was all it said I hesitantly clicked on the email.

Dear my princess,

At least you will be princess. Or not. At least not on my watch.
If you do not break up with Prince Maxon he will get it
If you truly love the charming soon to be King of Illea
You will give him up.
Because love is doing what's best for
Him. Right?
I give you until the end of the back to
School ball tonight
I think it's best you get going. His time
Is ticking like a clock.
Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick.

I hope for the best,
________

This person had direct access to Maxon. And they wanted to hurt him. What do I do?

I clicked on the tiny garbage can in the corner and sighed.

"What do I do?" I whispered.

~oOo~

Heels clicked on marble as people waltzed around the ballroom floor. Notes were executed to perfection as the live symphony played. Million dollar punch was held in wine glasses because of the lack of alcohol. Because this is a High school ball.

The palace could find any reason to hold a ball. They were using the start of school this time. There were hundreds of students from Angeles Prep in the huge ballroom. They were laughing, dancing, eating. It was ultimately a calm yet exuberant atmosphere.

"America," Maxon asked lifting up my chin. "What's wrong, dear?"

I smiled up at him. "I'm just thinking of  how lucky I am to be here. Imagine what our lives would be like if my sister never married James, and I never came to Angeles Prep."

"I don't want too," he shook his head stubbornly.

"Do you think we would still be here together?" I asked, ignoring his last comment.

"America...We are meant to be. We would of found each other someday," He assured me.

"Do you think we will always find each other?" I asked.

"Always."

I rested my head on his chest. I hope.

Delaney tapped on Maxon's shoulder. "Mind if we cut in?"

Maxon shuffled out of the way as Marlee, Celeste, Delancy, and even Cadence formed a circle. They grabbed my hands and we started an awkwardly shuffle to the slow beat. Delancy was obviously becoming impatient with the song as I'm pretty sure I heard her grinding her teeth. As if they read her mind the song turned to something more upbeat.

Delancy wooped loudly and forced us to dance with her. She shook her hips and swung her arms around wildly until it became sort of contagious to dance too. We danced for a couple songs before they started playing a salsa song. Dela held out a hand I rolled my eyes at her. We danced and laughed, it was just so easy to forget.

I was breathing heavily soon and I wandered off to get a drink. I sat down in the back of the room and watched everyone dance with a smile. My eyes drifted to Maxon walking up the stairs onto the stage. Maxon whispered something to the pianist and he nodded. He stood there with a microphone in hand at the front of the stage until the song ended. But a new one didn't start.

Maxon tapped the top of the microphone testingly and cleared his throat. "Can I have my beautiful girlfriend come up here?

I looked up in surprise and stood up. The crowd cleared a path for me as my heels clicked on the marble. The long skirts of my emerald green ball gown swooshed and fanned around me as I ascended the stairs. I took his outstretched hand and faced the crowd.

"What are you doing?" I whispered, smiling stiffly at the Audience.

Maxon just smiled at me. He took a deep breath before sinking down onto his knee and pulling out a beautiful ring. There were gasps around the room, but not from me. My mouth hung agape and my eyes widened in horror. He wasn't...Oh my god. He is! And I want him too! But...the email. Oh no...

"I had a whole big speech planned," he began. "I practiced it for hours in front of the mirror. But now that I see you beautiful face I can't remember a word. But I love you. And I always will. No long speech could express that more than those three words can. America Rose Singer, will you make me the happiest man alive and do the honor of becoming my wife?"

I stared into his Brown eyes and I longed to say yes. But a picture of those brown eyes looking lifeless against pale skin flashed in my mind. I squeezed my eyes shut to keep back the tears.

"I'm sorry. But I can't."

Try as I might, I didn't make it out of the room before I started crying.