Chapter 1: Where do broken hearts go?

I build you a house from a broken home
And I wrote you a song with the things you spoke
It took me a time but I figured out
How to fix up a heart that I let down?

"Wow Taylor! You look amazing!"

I glanced at myself in the mirror as soon as I heard the high-pitch voice of my housemate/best friend Blake who's standing at my bedroom door. I just finished dressing up for my 10-hour drive to Wake Forest and I am liking what I see. My strawberry blonde hair is bouncing perfectly just before it reaches my shoulders. It should be since I spent so much time and money in the salon so just I could have it perfectly layered. I was also wearing my new set of wardrobes that I got from Target last week. I am wearing a red and black stripes long sleeves shirt and a pair of khaki pants. I was also wearing my white converse. My makeup is just so light like the usual but I put on bloody red lipstick.

"Thank you!" I said giggling.

She walked inside my room and sat on my bed beside my luggage full of new clothes.

"This is one hell of a luggage," she noticed. "I thought you said you were going to Wake Forest, not Japan!" she snorted.

I raised my eyebrow, I love her witty banter.

"Yeah, I am going to Wake Forest for a week," I confirmed reiterating the word 'Wake Forest'.

"Then, why are you bringing your out-of-the-country luggage?" she asked.

My eyes automatically rolled as she continue to mock my choice of baggage to my week-long visit to Wake Forest.

"Stop mocking me, I just want to make sure I have everything I needed, just in case," I said sighing and sitting beside her.

She immediately wrapped her arm around my shoulder cause she knows that I am nervous about this trip.

"Don't be nervous, you're going to your hometown," she said, shaking me a bit. "People forget who we were in high school, besides, you are a beautiful young woman working at a huge advertising company, living in Manhattan and being swooned by the hottest bachelors in town." I smiled. "So stop pouting cause you are not who you were," she added.

I took a deep breath and pulled her into a tight embrace. I am so glad that she is here with me and that she is my best friend and roommate, I don't know what I will do if I lost her.

"I am so happy we're friends," I whispered.

"Me too, I am going to miss you," she smiled and patted me on my back. "Hey, don't be a cry baby now, get your ass up or might get to Wake Forest at midnight."

I gather my things and glanced at myself one more time.

"Yes, Madam!" I joked.

"I still do not understand why you decided to take the 10-hour drive instead of getting on a plane," she mumbled shaking her head.

We were walking towards the front door of our apartment located on the fifth floor of a cozy building in Manhattan. I withdrew from the thoughts of going through airport hassle so I chose to get a car service and drive myself to Wake Forest.

"I told you, I wanted to test my driving skills," I answered. "Also, I want to make sure I have that I can use there,"

She nodded but was still not happy with my choice of transportation. I hugged her one more time before I walked out of the apartment towards the elevator. Blake and I have been best friends since we became roommates at NYU. We got along pretty quickly despite our opposite personalities. Blake is the life of the party, a true social butterfly, a sunshine Barbie. She just lights up everything she put her hands on. She is very beautiful with her natural warm blonde hair and perfect curve body. She's a goddess in fashion too which is the main reason why she works at a fashion magazine. She is nice and the first to approach me when I moved into our room since she got in there first. She is charming and carefree and very much in love with her longtime boyfriend Ryan. Back in college, I was naïve and a geek, I never liked parties but was forced to go to a lot because of Blake. I studied a lot because I wanted to ace everything. It was Blake who showed me how life is beyond the books and the constant research. She taught me how to live life to the fullest. And that's how we became best friends. She never judges me despite knowing my past, instead, she helped me to find the real me which is the person I am today. Smart, witty, strong, happy, and beautiful.

The mini cooper I had rented to the top car rental service in Manhattan is sitting on the side just outside the building. The valet attendant took the bags from me and put them in the compartment on the vehicle. I thank him with a couple of hundred-dollar bills as he handed me the car keys.

I can't believe that I am finally going home to my hometown after almost seven years of being MIA. Of course, there wasn't a second that my mom begged me to visit her and my stepfather Tom every year that they celebrate their anniversary or Christmas or New Year or Thanksgiving but I always find a reason not to such as schoolwork when I was still taking my degree at NYU or a busy work week or I am spending the holidays at Blake since I couldn't leave her with her alcoholic of a mother alone together cause they fight a lot. But this time I couldn't just turn her down anymore, especially when my mom just got hospitalized for Diabetes two months ago. She isn't getting any younger and me being away is not helping her at all. So when she called me last week and begged for the nth time to come visit her and spend their 5th wedding anniversary, I said yes right away. So here I am, taking a 10-hour drive from Manhattan to Wake Forest so I could spend a whole week with my mother.

Just as I was starting the engine my phone beeps. Jake Gyllenhaal appeared on the screen. He sent me a text.

[Hey! Have a great weekend with your parents. Drive safely. I'll see you when you get back - J]

I smiled after I read his message. As usual Jake is being his sweet self. Jake is the Senior Vice President of the Advertising Company I work for. He's 5 years older than me and we sort of seeing each other for a couple of months now. It is nothing serious since I am not looking into going into a serious relationship at the moment or ever. Given my past experience with relationships, there is no way in hell that I will be letting myself fall in love again. Going on dates now and then is enough for me. It's not like I am a man-hater or I plan on growing old alone but everything was still so fresh in my mind even though seven years have passed. I have learned to put a wall between me and any potential guy that I might fall into and I am pretty sure that wall is not going down soon.

When the car stopped at the traffic light, I typed in my reply.

[Thanks J See you next week!]

I settled my phone in the compartment of my car. It's been a while since I drive that long so I don't want any interruption. My safety should still be my priority. I am still kind of anxious about going home. I thought I was never going to step foot in Wake Forest again. After that night I swore I was never coming back. After that heart-shattering night, I knew I was supposed to stay as far away as possible from that place. And yet again, here I am driving my way back to the heartache over and over again.