3.8

Patience. Don't play the song yet.

❀Courtney's P.O.V❀

I kneel down in front of the grave and set down the flowers, caressing the name on the tombstone.

"I did it." I smile, wiping away the tear that escapes. "I graduated."

Alex kneels down beside me and I turn to look at him, sniffling. He gives me a small smile and removes my cap before he leaves a lingering kiss on my forehead.

I close my eyes at the small gesture and smile when he kisses my lips next.

"I love you."

Another tear slides down my cheek and I hug him as I rest my head on his shoulder. My trail of vision focuses on the name and more tears fill my eyes as I let out a broken sob.

He holds me tightly as I cry against his chest and he comforts me until I have no tears left to shed.

Composing myself, I kiss the tip of my fingers before I press them against the tombstone. I stand up along with Alex and whisper my goodbyes as we walk back to his truck.

He drives me to the house and parks in the driveway, letting me step out.

"I have to be back at college, baby." He lets me know, "Will you be okay?"

I simply nod my head, wiping my tears.

He furrows his eyebrows, "I wish I could stay longer, but I have classes in a few hours."

"It's okay, don't worry. Just drive safely okay?"

"Always do, babe. I love you."

"I love you too." I whisper, finally slamming the door shut and watching him through the open window.

"Message me once you get there, please."

"Of course." He nods, revving the engine. "I'll text you."

I watch him drive away before I spin around and walk up the pathway.

I walk in through the door with my head down, wanting nothing but to lay in bed and sleep for the rest of my life.

"Where have you been, honey?" My Mom's voice reaches my ears and I wave a dismissive hand, making my way up the stairs. "We have been waiting for you."

"I was just visiting dad." I reply.

"Oh, you're here. I was beginning to think that you didn't want to see me anymore."

The new voice coming from the top of the stairs makes me snap my attention to the owner and my eyes widen. Emily is standing at the very top, smiling down at me.

In a rush, I trip on my feet and nearly fall twice as I run up the stairs, finally pulling her into my arms as I cry.

"Am I dreaming?" I sob, holding her closely and not wanting to let her go.

She holds me just as tightly, "My last session was on Monday and they released me today. Courtney, I'm cancer free."

Pulling away, I look into her eyes and watch her tears fall though my blurry vision.

"Emily, that's amazing!" I cheer, my voice breaking.

She laughs, the tears pouring out of her eyes. "I'm sorry for not telling you, I wanted it to be a surprise for your graduation."

"This is the best gift I could've ever received." I get down on my knees and she comes down with me as we continue to hug. "Emily, I love you so much. I'm so happy."