14. Family

14. Family

"Ciaossu, Rei." the baby greeted me again, his cute, squeaky voice a nice wake-up call.

Yeah, a wake-up call. I yawned, sitting up on my bed and bringing my legs to the side of the bed. "Good morning, Reborn-san." I greeted him, his name something I learned in a previous chat with Tsuna, "How did you get in?"

"The window was open." Reborn explained. "I heard where you lived from Tsuna." The baby jumped to my shoulder, settling down comfortably there as I began walking around. It was 5 am, but I had to wake up because it was my turn on breakfast duty.

I brushed my hair down to be presentable and clipped up my bangs. Then, I headed out of my room and down the stairs.

"Morning, Rei." came a voice from the next door over. Dad was dressed for work, tying his tie and brushing his teeth at the same time as he rushed like the apocalypse was happening.

"Morning, Dad." I greeted with a light chuckle, "Emergency call?"

"Yeah," he said, "I'll need to make a trip over to Hokkaido. I won't be back tonight." he explained, turning to me and Reborn who was at my shoulder, "That is?" he asked.

"This is Reborn. He's from the Sawada Household down the street." I explained.

"Pardon my intrusion." said Reborn.

"I, uh... see." and he didn't have a question to ask further, "Well, I hope you enjoy your stay."

"Coffee, dad?" I offered.

"Yes, please."

I went down the stairs and into the kitchen, where Reborn jumped off my shoulder and onto the table. He settled down on a chair, and I took that as a sign that he was staying for breakfast.

Rolling up the sleeves of my sweater, I started thinking of the breakfast menu.

-----

"Morning, Rei-chan." Sui gave her older brother a hug from the back, looking over his arm to the stove, "Breakfast?"

Rei switched off the stove and placed the last omelette on the place, Sui latching onto him the whole time. "Good morning, Sui. Where's Sae?"

"She overslept." Sui responded, settling down on the seat in front of Reborn. She looked at the baby for a long moment, eye-to-eye.

Neither spoke as they seemed to have some sort of telepathic conversation.

Then Sui bowed lightly, still on the chair. "Nice to meet you, I am Sui." she said in her usual zestless voice.

"Same to you. I am Reborn." the baby replied.

Placing down a mug of hot chocolate in front of Sui and hot espresso in front of Reborn, I sighed at the two. That was weird, but I'm glad they're at peace.