Chapter 19

Seriously, what is up with time and how it just sort of, slips away? Sorry for the long wait!

I'm always sorry for the long wait lol

Hope you like it!

Chapter 19

Corinna’s POV

I ran my finger over the grade at the top of the calculus test I’d just been handed. I’d gotten an A.

I bit my lip to keep from grinning.

“Nicely done, Evans,” the calculus teacher said, a hint of surprise in his voice.

I nodded but didn’t say anything.

I had to show Flynn.

My urge to grin faded as the thought flitted across my mind, a feeling of unease settling in my stomach.

Something had changed over the weekend between us, something I couldn’t seem to take back. I’d always managed to keep people at a distance before but somehow Flynn had snuck past my defences so far that I’d even thought about telling him everything about Joey and my mother and my past.

But I couldn’t do that to him.

Joey had issued a threat and he never failed to deliver. He hadn’t given me a specific timeline but I knew my time here was coming to an end and there was no point in unloading on Flynn then walking away.

Even if I didn’t have to leave, there was no point in telling him anything. I needed to get a hold of myself, to stop leaning on him so heavily, to stop expecting him to be there when I fell apart.

Like he had been at Gran’s.

I crossed my arms over my chest, remembering how nice it had felt to wake up in his arms, how safe he’d made me feel even as his sleep had been disturbed by nightmares.

Stop it, I told myself, shaking my head slightly. I needed to get over this dependency. Flynn was a temporary part of my life and I would leave him behind without a second thought when I had to. It would be easier on both of us if I put some distance between us now, before it was too late.

Still, when the bell rang, I rushed out of the classroom, my eyes searching the bodies crowding into the hallways for a sign of Flynn’s unruly, too long hair, his light green gaze or his broad shoulders.

Making a quick stop at my locker, ignoring the freshly scrawled “slut” on the door, I grabbed my bag and pushed my way out of the school.

I saw Flynn leaning against his truck and I forgot my reasons for putting some distance between us as his eyes landed on me and a grin split his face.

I quickened my steps, barely resisting the urge to grin back at him as I crossed the busy parking lot. “I got an A,” I said, giving in and letting a full, genuine smile stretch across my lips.