Chapter 3

His presence seemed to straighten up and walk to the left, keeping a decent pace. For a split second, I considered running. But I quickly dismissed the notion when I remembered the power the creature possessed and trotted after it.
"Um, what do I call you?" I called out as I jogged after the humanoid.
I go by many names. Most call me Operator or Slenderman. Take your pick. He responded distantly.
"Ok." I slowed and matched his pace, thinking about it. Maybe I'll just see what the other proxies call him and I'll stick with that name. "What will you tell them about me?" I asked warily, hoping I wasn't being annoying.
I will tell them you're a new proxy. Then, you can tell them whatever you want. He responded unemotionally.
"Do I have to tell them I am blind?" I asked curiously.
No. Since you can... 'see' with your gift, they never have to know. He said calmly.
We walked in silence for a while, thinking. I still followed the commanding aura of his presence and he still led us deeper into the forest. A chill seemed to settle in the air, making dew land on my clothing and the plants around us. Quite abruptly, I detected many presences ahead of us. Immediately, I slipped into quieter footfalls and a slightly defensive posture. My arms wrapped around my chest like I was cold and I tilted my head down.
Meeting people was never my strong suit. I had killed every living thing that approached me for years. The only contact I had before that was the workers and experimenters of the facility. The only thing I learned from them was that people couldn't be trusted and always caused pain. I shuddered as I remembered their minds, uncaring and cold. They didn't once consider me a person.
I felt a mass approaching so I jumped up onto it. It was a fallen tree judging by the hollow sound it gave as I walked on it before descending the other side. Dull pains made themselves known in my body from the jump. I was surely bruised around my waist and neck, though my black clothing covered it. I contemplated prodding around to find the nastiest of bruises, but I decided to ignore them. I had more important things to worry about, like the hoard of minds that we were quickly approaching. Suddenly a voice broke through my growing nervousness.
We are here. He said simply, pausing in front of a very large rectangular mass. All the presences were jumbled up inside of its walls. They all felt... different from a human's presence. Some seemed very far-gone while others felt close and social. I withheld a groan at the prospect of... socializing.
This is our home. There are many proxies who live here, others only pass through, and still others remain distant. You will live with us for a while to get settled before going out on your own. There are few rules.
Do not kill another proxy, complete your missions, and help in the upkeep of the mansion.
I believe you will do fine, ______. He added as if an afterthought. He strode to what I think to be the door and swung it open. He walked through and I followed warily after him. I brushed my fingers over my face to make sure my mask was on correctly. I also reached into my hoodie pocket to make sure my little knife was still there. Not that I planned on using it, it just made my feel better.
The first sound I heard upon walking inside was the door shutting behind us. Then, the interesting dings and music of a video game. It seemed to be coming from my right, in another room. There were three presences lounging on a couch in front of the game's source, probably a TV. I cocked my head and spread out my hearing, trying to identify all the new sounds.
"Hey Slendy!" A voice called out from the TV room, sounding young and male. I put a hand over my mouth to halt the laugh that threatened to come out. Slendy? The male's voice also sounded distracted so he probably didn't look up from the game. His presence was hyper and felt... green? I didn't know what to make of that. I noticed Slenderman tensed from his nickname and the continued walking, ignoring the voice. I quickly trotted after him.
He went to the left and down a long hallway. I was grateful he didn't keep me captive at the door and tell everyone I'm new, making them hoard around and greet me. This quiet entrance was so much better.
Slenderman slowed and came to a stop in front of one of the many doors. He turned back to me.
This is Jeff's room. You will be sleeping in here. There are two beds. He paused as if considering something.
I would put you with someone less... well, less Jeff. But I believe you can handle him. The last proxy who roomed with him... well, you'll do fine. He seemed to be reassuring himself just as much as me. He stepped forward and swung open the door.
Jeff is out on a mission right now, so make yourself at home. There are two beds; I suggest you take the one with the fewest knives hidden in it. The shower is directly across the hall. I will gather more clothes like yours and leave them for you in the room. He explained casually. I simply nodded, taking it all in. I immediately started to try and memorize where the room was and how to get to it. Slenderman seemed to notice my concentration or he read my thoughts.
And if you forget which room. It's the 4th door down this hallway and the only with multiple slash marks in it.
I reached my hand out to brush against the door and it indeed has many divots and slashes through it. Great, that's so comforting.
Good luck. The being said before his presence simply vanished. Wow, I'd never met a teleporter before.
I swung myself around to face the open doorway. I quickly strode through and stomped once in the center of the floor. Vibrations flickered out and reverberated back. I analyzed the masses in the room, feeling out the crevices and shadows. There were two beds, though one felt oddly more metallic than the other. One was near the window and had several items on it while the other was closer to the door and bare.
I took the bare one and ran my hands over it to check for... knives? It had a thick quilt with minor dust collected on it. I sighed and sat down on the bed, feeling it give slightly. This was no tent or tree branch, but I could get used to it. So, Jeff would likely be back soon. This may be my only chance to shower in peace. I don't get much cleaning time during my forest travels.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art