Chapter 8

During lunch, Jeff bragged to a few other proxies about my ability to know where he was. He explained how I did it, carefully avoiding the emotion reading part, and continued to rave about my 'radar' (as he called it). The others were generally interested and impressed by my ability, reassured that I was one of them after seeing my fail at the apparently easy knife throws.
      After lunch, Jeff dragged me back outside to attempt something else. Several others trailed after us as we departed, leaning on trees or gazing from windows. I even sensed the annoying green personality of BEN nearby, watching curiously from the sidelines. All of them were hopeful, wanting to see something that could replace the dismal image of me chucking knives into the grass. I sensed the pressure thickening and immediately felt smothered. I did not like the attention. Already, I felt the claws of anxiety grip my stomach and twist my thoughts. I could feel the eyes staring me down.
      Suddenly, a new aura arrived directly in front of me, blocking Jeff from what would have been my view.
      We will begin training now. Slenderman said into everyone's mind, knowing they were curious. His voice echoed slightly and had little emotion as always. His presence bore down on my mind, hinting at the power he held and the many years he had existed. He turned smoothly to Jeff, addressing him directly.
      Jeff, you are excused for the evening. Get some rest, you know your next mission. He said with a touch of warmth in his voice. He exhibited a slight pride for Jeff though his voice was dull.
      "Yeah, whatever you say." Jeff muttered, kicking the dirt. He leaned over to see me, "See ya later _______!" He called with a grin before walking towards the house. However, I knew from the jitteryness of his mood that he had little intention of resting. He would likely watch me like all the others.
      _______. I see you told Jeff about one of your abilities. I understand your sense of direction is unparalleled, so we will work on other aspects of yourself. Slenderman spoke to me, tone kept very professional and distant.
      "Ok." I agreed, trying to think of what tests this being had in store.
      When we first met, you successfully repelled my attack. I could tell his voice resonated into everyone's minds by their immediate surprise and disbelief. I felt my body shrink a little as I shifted my weight, hunching slightly from the burden of so much attention. You were effective in defense, but that was an innate or instinctual reaction to probable death. I knew you had no way of seriously attacking back. That is what we will work on today. Slenderman explained before walking away from the house and closer to the dense forest. I trailed behind him, seemingly slowed by the stares of so many killers. I was especially conscious of Jeff's acute attention to Slenderman's words as we departed into the forest fringe.
      I halted when Slenderman paused, turning back to me. We were still within the sight of the house, but under the shade of the first trees of the woods – or so I gathered from the tree trunks I could sense. I felt the strain of many eyes on my back, discreetly watching from afar. Did I really want them to see me do this? This unpredictable, crazy, and utterly dark power? Sure, it might be impressive. But at the same time, it will peg me as a freak of nature – a danger to life. Would they want to abandon me like mother or... experiment on me?
      Now. Focus yourself. Can you command it on will or is it only when you are in mortal danger? Slenderman asked, facing me.
      The proxies watching from afar seemed to be at a loss. Slenderman's words were too vague for them to understand what ability I possessed, but they knew something was different about me if Slenderman was my trainer. Frustration and confusion swept through many of their minds as they tried to piece together what was going on, making everyone tense and myself even more anxious.
      "I can usually command it at will." I started, pondering. "However, the more I commanded it, the more it became..." I took a breath and searched for a good word, "more it became difficult to control... and to contain." I finished, turning my face to 'look' at the tall being. He seemed to think over my words. His presence was debating between several options of tutoring.
      Command it now. Slenderman simply requested.
      "Wait, what?" I asked, tilting my head. "What, like right now?" I questioned, hesitation in my voice.
      Why not? He asked curtly. I froze, still frighteningly aware of the eyes on my back and the minds beyond curious. Could I command the darkness now? More importantly, Should I? I bit my lip and shifted my weight, teetering between decisions. Slenderman awaited my answer with patience.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art