Chapter 15

If you didn't know... it's really hard to practice knife fighting with someone who nearly killed you. It really is.
Jeff and I had taken a sort of break on our practices. Every time we tried after the incident, I would freak out and leap back from him. He would try to apologize and start again, but I'd never relax enough to listen to his instruction. After I bolted a few times during the fights, he called quits and walked away.
It felt like I was trying to be a failure. The disapproval, distrust, and overall dislike from everyone was getting to me. The only one who I could stay around for any length of time was Slenderman, but he never stayed long.
Slenderman again encouraged me to practice with him or at least show the others what I could do – just once. But after I told him about why Jeff had a black eye and the multiple cuts through my skin, he let the subject drop. I think he sensed I was still anxious about releasing the energy, and I was glad he respected that.
However, he made it very clear that I'd either have to use the power or become a better fighter. Needless to say, I am at multiple disadvantages to becoming a renowned knife fighter. A mission was not in my immediate future, not the way things were going.
So, I took many walks through the woods. I randomly took out my original small knife and practiced killing whatever came near. I would slice trees as if they were people, chase squirrels like prey, and catch birds as if they were my targets. I could feel where every living thing was, but I still felt blind. I would trip on random objects, stumble on curved ground, and get confused about the time of day. It was a depressing week.

After dinner near the end of the next week, I slipped out early like I usually did. I rarely interacted with the other proxies, scared by their moods. My appearance in any room would always cause a cascade of negative energy and hushing of conversation. Maybe they thought they were being quiet about it, but I could tell from their minds they were upset by my presence in their house.
So I left frequently. One of my favorite spots was disappearing to a small abandoned cabin to the West. I could climb a close-by evergreen tree and clamber over till I was in line with the cabin's roof. I would take a leap of faith and jump to the roof, swallowing the impact by letting it roll up my body. And there I would lie in the open air; often warmed by the sun's rays I couldn't see but definitively felt.
I was there today, relaxing on the warm slats of the decaying roof and taking in the presences around me. I would expand my perception till I could almost feel the nearest town's citizens. It sometimes amazed me, how much I could feel.
My back was on the roof, mask slightly pushed up, and knees bent. The breeze felt wonderful, blowing through my clothes and ruffling my hair. The wind brought scents too. They calmed me. A mix of pine, earth, and cut grass wafted to me. The smells reminded me of freedom for some reason, further relaxing my muscles and comforting my mind.
Suddenly, I breathed in a sharp scent. I sat bolt upright, taking another experimental breath. I grimaced, recognizing the faint scent of smoke. The pungent fume reminded me of a bonfire. It was ruining my calm mood. Who the hell had a campfire going on near by?
Deciding to ignore the scent to find relaxation again, I leaned back into the roof and let me body loosen. I was almost asleep when I jumped back up, breathing deeply.
This was no camp fire. The scent had magnified and had the bitter taste of scorched pine needles and gasoline? Something chemical made the scent have a harsh undertone. Nope – not a campfire. It was much, much, larger than that.
I expanded my hearing and perception, immediately grabbing my head and grimacing. Hundreds of organisms were screaming on all frequencies. I could feel rabbits, squirrels, and birds moving in desperation, fear, and pain. Their pain made my own body tense in anguish. I noticed the scent of fire had intensified as if getting closer and I heard the faint popping and hum of sparks in the distance.
"Shit." I whispered as I quickly slipped off the roof, thudding onto the dry leaves below.
Instantly, I gagged on the thicker scent of smoke near the ground. I began a quick run back to the main house, keeping track of the animals that also ran in desperation. They all seemed to run... towards the house? Like that was the last safe spot? I wasn't sure. It didn't make sense. Shouldn't a fire sweep across the woods in one direction? Why did it seem to be coming in from all directions?
As I ran, I felt heat near my back – seeming to increase. I could now hear the very loud cracking, simmering, and burning of life. I could almost feel the sparks landing in my clothing. I increased my speed, nearing a sprint, as I dashed back towards the house and away from the enclosing flames.
As I neared the house, the uproar was obvious even to me. Everyone's presences were rushing around, frantic with desperation. There were some shouts and demands thrown around, encouraging people to hurry. I sprinted straight to Jeff's presence. I'm not really sure why I choose him, but I did.
"______!" Jeff called out, trotting out to meet me in front of the house.
"Where were you?!" He cried, hand grasping my shoulder. A flicker of fear again rushed through my body at the contact.
"I-I wa-was over there..." I muttered, vaguely pointing in the direction I had come from.
"Well, come on! We need everyone's help!" Jeff yelled angrily, shoving a metal cylinder into my hands. "Get water from the tubs they're filling and throw it on those flames!" Jeff instructed breathlessly, hefting something that sloshed. "Hurry!" He called as he lumbered out towards the hiss of fire and threw his bucket.
I turned towards the house and ran towards the bathroom where Jack was filling buckets with water and handing them out. I quickly took one and made my way back out to the yard.
I paused, momentarily stunned by the panic I felt around me.
"Don't let it reach the house!" Someone called as they sprayed a feeble hose over the left edge of the yard.
"There's not enough water!" Another called out desperately.
"Find some more!" A voice angrily ripped through the air, but held an undertone of dread.
"Quickly!" Another cried.
"Hurry!"
"Where's slender?"
"Don't know! Keep the buckets moving!"
"It's getting closer!"
"More water!"
"We're going to have to-"
"No! We're not leaving!"
"We have to!"
"If we don't leave – We'll go up in flame too!"
...
"Fine! Fall back!"
"Jeff, it's on every side."

Panic, desperation, and fear invaded the minds and voices around me. I flinched when my bucket clashed with the ground, slipping from my fingers. I couldn't believe the emotion around me. There was such attachment, affection, and literal need for this place. This home... I didn't consider this as a home like the others did. In their minds, I could see whereas I thought of that building as a house they thought of it as a home – a sanctuary.
I could leave here and not look back. I could live on my own. I had little attachment. But everyone else... if they had been normal people, they'd probably be crying with the level of emotion running through them right now. As it was, they all stood still and watched the flames dance closer, stunned into disbelief.
They couldn't stab, kill, or fight the enclosing blaze. They felt hopeless... lost... desperate. They had no way to stop the fires. They couldn't call the fire department, couldn't get enough water, and couldn't even escape the constricting inferno that burned on all sides. But I could.
The others were backing up towards the front door, blocked in by flames two stories high. I remained standing by my fallen bucket, face towards the incoming flame. I took a deep breath of smoke and felt it singe my lungs. I took a purposeful step towards the fire, cringing as sparks burned through my clothing and hissed in contact with my mask.
"_____! Get back here!" Jeff called, taking a small step forward.
I could leave right now. I could. I could use a flash of darkness, leap through the inferno, and be on my way. I could abandon them all.
It would be so easy.

——————————————————————
Lil_magpie
Deviant Art