Chapter 22

"What do you want?" I yelled at the walls. "I've been here for years! I deserve an answer!" I screamed before slamming my fists against the wall. Shadows were swirling dangerously around me in unmatched aggression.
      I was pissed.
      They had just made me kill another innocent and beautiful creature. It felt terrible, ending such life. I felt terrible. When would this end? I had tried everything. I had fought, I had submitted, I had obeyed, I had yelled, I had cried, I had tried suicide. Nothing changed. Nothing ever changed.
      "Talk to me!" I commanded, conscious I looked insane right now talking to voices and slamming the wall.
      "We thought you would calm down by now." The cold voice echoed through the room, disembodied. I fell silent, listening the voice that had been my only form of contact for years. "We thought you would succumb by now." The voice droned on, disinterested.
      "But you are still too independent." The voice told me. "You don't rely on anything."
      "But why am I here?" I called out hoarsely, needing an answer.
      "Weapons can't be independent." The voice said quietly, ignoring my questions deliberately. The lights in the room went out. I yelped and stumbled back, straining my eyes to see. I staggered backwards as I heard machinery kick on and creak.
      "No, no, no..." I muttered, knowing the sounds meant bad things were coming. I glanced around, trying desperately to see what was happening. More shocks? More slices through my skin? A new opponent? Maybe...
      Two red dots appeared in the wall before me, illuminating the room in a strange wash of red light. The dots constricted and became brighter. They also moved along the wall as if lining up with something.
      Then, quicker than I could blink the lights exploded in red light. The beams hit my skin and seared when they made contact. The smell of burnt flesh filled my nostrils and agony consumed my mind, confusing me. The pain traveled to my open eyes, searing them for less than a second before I heard it click off.
      Amidst my screaming, I heard the overhead lights click back on. But I was still in darkness, still stuck in shadow. Everything was dark as midnight, like ink was covering my eyes. Everything hurt, everything was so dark.
      I blinked my aching eyes open, searching for light. But everything was still dark. My knees buckled and I crumpled to the ground.
      I knew then, I was blind.
--
      I jumped up in bed, still screaming. I quickly snapped my mouth shut, shaking furiously. I hate memories. Why can't they leave me alone? I shuddered, hands tightening around my sheets. Everything was still dark, like it always will be.
      "Hey..." A soft voice called before the bed sank under someone's weight. I shifted away from them, searching for their mind. It was Jeff. Judging by his groggy mind and tired voice it was probably the middle of the night or early morning. "Are you okay?" He mumbled quietly, hand reaching out to rub against my shoulder.
      "Yeah. I'm fine now." I whispered, controlling my shaking and breathing deeply. "Just a bad dream." I told him, forcing myself to not flinch away from his touch.
      "Wanna talk about it?" Jeff asked quietly, not pushing but still curious. I thought about his offer. I could tell him a lot, really. He deserved a lot more than I was giving him. No one but Slenderman really knew my history. Might as well tell him some of it...
      "The people from my past... hurt me." I muttered, still hesitant with talking about it.
      "Hurt you?" He said incredulously. "I don't think anyone's a match for you." He told me lightly. A smile spread across my face and I gave a light laugh, feeling my shaking stop and breathing even out completely. "Want me to cut them up?" He asked, still making light of the issue. It felt good... great, actually. It felt great to laugh at my past. It felt good to make fun of those troubles; they seemed less threatening when laughed at.
      In a moment of bravery, I reached out tentatively and wrapped my arms around Jeff. I shifted into his comforting warmth, a light in my darkness. "They're long gone now." I muttered, remembered breaking away from their facility. "What time is it?" I asked quietly, shuffling further into his chest.
      "Hmmm... about 2am." He replied, arms circling me and pulling me onto his legs. His mind was brimming with some positive emotion I didn't understand and didn't fully recognize. "What do you look like under your mask?" He asked lightly. I tensed but remained leaning against him. I stayed silent for a bit, thinking about my answer. I felt like now would be a good time to take off the mask... but I still wanted to wait. I'm not sure why, but I didn't feel like taking it off yet. Would this good feeling last once he saw the scars? No, I don't think so. The scars he could maybe deal with, but the blindness – the half-truths I've used to cover it up... he wouldn't like that. He wouldn't like it at all.
      I didn't reply but let out a loud breath, relaxing into his arms. I counted several heartbeats before he decided I wasn't responding.
      "You'll feel better once you take it off. You know that, right?" He told me calmly, again not pushy but extremely curious... and something else. I was glad he didn't outright ask to see my face, that wouldn't be happening tonight. But I was planning on showing him... eventually.
      "Yeah." I mumbled, shifting so I was practically flush with his chest. His arms tightened around my waist before his chin came to rest on my shoulder. He shimmied us back so he was against the wall. There we stayed, falling silent in the early hours of the morning. Not even meaning to, I slowly drifted off to peaceful sleep – free from memories.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art