Chapter 28

Recap (Jeff POV):
      I watched as an aggressive Slenderman was battling something... a dark aura surrounded his slim frame as black ropes whipped around. I watched numbly as something tore through Slender's suit, something small but damaging. His form stumbled back, flickering, and disappeared in a bright flash. The threatening dark figures advanced...
      We need help! This threat... what are they? How do we fight them?
      __________, we need you!
      "__(NAME)__!" I yelled on all frequencies, hoping beyond hope someone would hear...

-- Reader POV --

      I had made it to the town.
      But it was no good.
      These minds were no better than the killers back at home.
      Home...
      What a weird word to think of... I really did love it there. It felt so safe, so accepting... well, after a few hiccups it became accepting. What am I even thinking? Why do I need people to accept me? It's never been an issue before!
      I missed the warmth of the house though, the consistency of it all. I missed the feeling of Jeff's presence... the glow of whatever emotions he was exhibiting. I missed the contact he gave me...
      From this distance, I couldn't sense them at all. It felt so wrong and so very vacant in my mind, like a void where their once was a thriving ocean. It felt like something crucial was missing.
      Did it really matter that I was blind? Not to me. I was perfectly capable without sight. I had to be.
      Could I forgive them?
      I knew my answer was 'yes' before I even considered the question. No need for analysis. No need for thought. The others needed to know at some point. This would bring us closer, right? Admitting flaws was good, right? It sort of felt better to have the secrets out there... sort of.
      I better head back. They've probably calmed down by now... I miss them already – how pitiful. But it was undeniable, I wouldn't be happy living on my own anymore... I had to go back. I was just swinging around to face the direction I had come when a voice sliced through my perception, making me wince with its force.
      "__(NAME)__!" the voice echoed through the emptiness of the air, almost as loud as if the voice called from next to me. But I knew it was actually very far away – in the direction I had come. The tone sounded desperate and pained. It sounded so familiar... so familiar...
      Once I realized whom the mind belonged to, I ran faster than I ever had before. The shadows responded immediately, condensing around my feet and pushing my back with a feverish force I didn't know I possessed. I felt like I could lift off, flying in between trees as I sprinted back to where I had come.
      Hold on Jeff, I'm coming...

-- Jeff POV --

      I didn't know these people, these horrors. They wore strange white clothing and had strange weapons. I had gotten back up, ignoring the strange pain in my shoulder. I cut and slashed and hacked my way through their bodies, littering the ground with their corpses. But for every kill, I was hit by something or cut by something the opposition had. The other proxies were in similar states, still killing as quickly as they could, but they were being overwhelmed by sheer firepower.
      More bangs rang out, shuddering through the smoky air. Strange guns threw out sparking nets that electrocuted on contact. Strange men aimed strange darts as us, filled with unknown substance. We were dropping like flies, unable to mount a decent rebellion against the strange attackers.
      Slender had left us. Was it really that dismal? That hopeless?
      I know he was losing, but did he really abandon us? And what was that terrible tearing noise? It sounded like something electric was emitting a terrible sound into the air. It was so awful.
      Another shot rang out and I felt pain split through my side, eliciting a reluctant cry from my lips. I fell on my knees a second time, feeling the weight of failure hold me down.
      I didn't even get to properly apologize...
      Suddenly, the encroaching heat and light of the fires was snuffed out. The electrical noise shorted out, letting relative silence fill the area. I looked up to see the while-clad figures turning towards the forest. One of them yelled with a monotone voice, calling to the approaching darkness with authority.
      "You're late."
      A wave of solid blackness rolled in from the west, shrouding the figure at its heart. The same voice called out again, taking on a demanding voice.
      "Commence test 5617." It spoke mechanically. "Eliminate the threat."
      What? What did it mean? Who was the threat? Them, I hope! ______ please, you could save us all...
      The blackness began the shrink, pulling inwards to reveal a very stiff _____.
      What is going on?

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art