Chapter 14

If Alex was dead, she was definitely coming back as a ghost to haunt Tony. Or Ultron. Whoever stayed alive the longest, which, knowing Tony's hero complex, would probably be Ultron.

Something was beeping, and it was that noise that made Alex realise she probably wasn't dead yet. As much as she felt relief, she was also slightly upset she wouldn't have the chance to stalk and haunt Ultron for what he did. Her body was shaking slightly, the movement growing worse as she tried to force her eyes to open,

Above her, someone was talking, their voice drifting in and out of Alex's hearing, "you don't....Stark...hurting her..."

"Whose that?" Alex slurred and voice stopped only to be replaced by another one,

"Was that her?"

"I think so. Alex? Can you open your eyes?"

"Too tired." Something was resting gently on her head, or she assumed it was meant to be gentle but now she was aware of it, the pressure felt like a heavy stone pressing her into the ground.

"That's okay. Pietro, go get Stark."

The weight on her head disappeared and Alex tried to sit up, only her arms were locked by her side and fatigue tried to engulf her again.

"Who is that?" Alex asked, fluttering her eyes in an attempt to open them.

"It's your Pá. Here," Steve touched Alex's cheek, the gentleness of the action both soothing her and making her want to cry.

"Is it really you, Pá?"

"It is. You're in the tower, you're safe."

"I don't want this to be a trick."

"It's not, I promise you."

Alex opened her eyes to immediately close them again at the bright lights surrounding her, "You promised me that last time and it was a dream."

"I'd pinch you to reassure you, but I think you've been through enough. How are you feeling now?"

"I've been better." Another attempt to open her eyes was more successful, leaving Alex able to gaze at one of her dads.

"Yeah, no shit, kid."

"Captain Language swore? Oh my god, I'm definitely in hell."

"You've had us in hell for the past week. And I can swear, I just don't see the point in it."

"Say fuck."

"Hey! Language." Scolded Steve, gesturing and wildly which drew a laugh out of Alex.

"She already bothering you, Rogers?" The tone was light, but Tony himself seemed to have aged ten years since Alex last saw him. He approached her, resting a hand on Steve's arm and squeezing it in what appeared to be happiness.

"Steve said shit."

"He didn't! I know we've got to respect our elders but Captain Rogers, you should know that language like that is not acceptable, especially around a young lady like our guest here." Tony squeezed Alex's right shoulder now and kissed her cheek, "Let's try and sit you up, Alex."

It took them a good few minutes, by which time Bruce had arrived, to figure out how to sit the hospital bed up while keeping Alex under the covers and comfortable. Tony was especially strict about keeping her hands hidden away. Eventually they did it, and Tony rattled of some quick health questions to see how Alex was feeling.