Chapter 6

"What are you doin' back here Higgins? You already tested my patience by bringin' other newsies here, now youse comin' more than once a day?" Spot glared at Race who had stepped onto the dock.

After reaching Brooklyn, Race learned that Spot was on his dock, and though the boys warned him not to go, he, being Race, ignored them and went anyway.

"I'm not here 'cause I want to be."

"Then why are you here? You couldn't help it? I'm so good lookin' that ya couldn't stay away?" Spot scoffed.

"Don't flatter yaself Conlon. Ise got Romeo back at the lodge. If I was lookin' for a pretty face, I woulda talked to him." Race stepped closer to his friend and slowly sat down next to him. "Jack wanted me to invite ya to our lodge. He heard about your fight and wese been havin' some similar problems, and he wants to talk to you 'bout it."

"Why should I go help him? We took care of our problem, youse should take care of yours."

"C'mon Spot, I told him that you'd come."

"You shouldn't answer for other people Higgins," Spot responded.

"So you ain't gonna talk to 'im?" Race asked.

"Got no reason to."

"How abouts cause I'm your friend?" Race tried, nudging Spot's shoulder with his own.

"Don't flatter yaself Higgins," Spot reused Race's earlier words and gave him a gentle shove. "I don't got any 'friends'."

"Then youse gonna live a borin' life." Race gave Spot a minute to change his mind before continuing. "C'mon Spot, Jack's gettin' worried, he won't admit it but he is, and that means I am too."

Spot turned toward Race scanning his face, but he still said nothing.

"Please Spot. They're my brothers. This is real important to me."

Spot let out a long sigh, but gave a small nod. "Fine. I'll go."

Immediately Race's eyes lit up as a smile spread across his face. "Thanks Spot! Have I told you that you're one of my favorite people?"

"Sure," Spot grumbled as he pulled on his boots, though he couldn't deny the small smile that crossed his face at Race's happiness.

"Just get there as quick as you can. Jack gave me a time limit."

"You ain't comin'?" Spot looked at Race who stood, slipping his cigar out of his pocket.

"Nah, I'm gonna head to the tracks, see if I've got any luck today."

"Sounds like a good way to waste your money," Spot warned.

"I'll be fine Spotty. I always am."

"What did I tell you 'bout callin' me that?" Spot growled.

"Not too," Race replied cheerfully. "But it makes ya angry, and I think that's entertainin', so I figure I'll keep sayin' it 'til it stops botherin' ya."

"Just get to Sheepshead," Spot groaned.

"See ya later Spotty Boy!" Race called as he walked off the dock, a spring in his step.

"Get outta here Higgins!" Spot called back, wearing a grin of his own.

***

Race loved everything about being at the races, from the crowds of people talking and betting, to the smell of the horses. It was an environment that he thrived in. He glanced toward the mutuel window longingly, but walked past, knowing that Jack didn't like him betting so much. Race headed towards the group of people standing around the track, pushing through the crowds until he reached his usual spot.