Chapter 16

Alex was wandering around the tower, looking for someone to bother when she heard a crash nearby. She quickly ran up some stairs and saw a sight of utter carnage. Bruce had Wanda in a chokehold, Pietro was lying in a corner and Steve and Tony were fighting.

"What the hell are you doing?" Alex screamed, "I'm not letting you start another war!"

It was all happening at once, she didn't know who to go to first. Wanda let out a choking noise and Alex turned, throwing out her hand to grip Wanda's jacket. After a few desperate tugs, Alex realised she wasn't strong enough to teleport Wanda away and instead swung a leg under Bruce, bringing him to the floor.

"Are you alright?" Asked Alex and Wanda nodded, rubbing her throat. Alex asked the same question again to Bruce, who refused to look at her. Linking arms with Wanda, Alex tried to pull her towards Pietro when someone else appeared,

Thor burst into the room, waving his hammer around frantically. He hesitated the moment he saw Alex, giving Steve enough time to throw his shield at Thor's head. Thor dodged, swinging his hammer around as it burst with lightning.

Without thinking, Alex teleported across the room, grabbed Mjolnir out of Thor's hands and threw it out of the nearest window. She faced Thor and the rest of the Avengers who all looked completely surprised, apart from Thor who had a proud smile on his face, "What?"

"You wielded Mjolnir,"

It took Alex a good minute to realise why that was important. Her right hand was steadier than it had been all week, although it was twitching every few seconds, as though reaching out for something.

"I'm worthy, motherfuckers!"

Mjolnir flew back into the room, Thor easily catching it as he stormed towards Dr Cho's cradle which was next to Wanda. Tony leapt forward with a shout as Thor used his hammer to destroy the cradle,

"What the hell do you think you're doing." Tony had looked heartbroken even before Thor had started to destroy whatever he was building, but the look on his face now was devoid of any hope.

"Sorry Stark, the choice has been made."

"That wasn't a choice." Spat Tony, "It was a trick."

"I never said it was Alex's choice."

"And here I was thinking it was your brother who was the God of deception."

"Everyone, stop." Steve shouted 'stop' just as Alex did, and together that was enough to bring silence into the recent chaos.

"Can someone explain what's going on?" Said Alex, Steve coming up behind her and raising his shield. For a second, Alex didn't understand why until she saw the way Tony had also placed himself between her and Thor.

"He—" Pietro gestured in Tony's direction, "is trying to make another monster. That thing in the cradle, it's Ultron's body and he is trying to bring it to life."

The sight of Tony throwing his hands up in surrender was a common one, but while it was usually a joke, his face was deadly serious now, "Thor told me to do it, he said it was the only thing that would save us all."

Steve had yet to lower his shield, still half-covering Alex and half himself, "How do you know that?"

Thor looked uncomfortable, staring almost aggressively at Alex who moved closer to Steve's protection. "I've had a vision, of the future. There was a choice that needed to be made. A choice by that stone right there."

Alex looked where Thor was pointing— the only important-looking stone around was the small, yellow one inside the cradle, "That little thing? Come on Thorin Oakenshield, at least make it believable."