Chapter 9

Seeing Steve in pain and knowing there was nothing I could do about it was one of the worst feelings I could imagine. I'd never wanted to see him like this. It's the reason we'd first met. Only this time, ice cream wasn't going to solve anything.

Peggy's funeral was very nice. She was loved and respected by so many people and the feeling was palpable in the church. Pietro and I couldn't be seen in public so I only had one of my shadows there to watch the service. I wanted to be there for Steve, but we'd both agreed it was better for me to lie low.

When the service was over, and everybody was leaving, Steve stayed. He walked to the center aisle and looked solemnly at her coffin. I considered using the power of the Mind Stone to reach out to him and make him feel better, but his grief was normal and I knew I should let him feel it.

After several minutes, I appeared behind him. No one else was in the church so I was safe. I put my hand on his shoulder gently and walked to stand beside him.

"I wish I could have met her." I said.

"Me too." Steve muttered. He paused for a few seconds then ran his hand over his face before turning to look at me. "You would have liked her. She was the strongest woman I'd ever known."

I smiled at him. "I've read a lot about her. Between her files and what you've told me about her, I don't doubt that for a second." I said.

Steve's mouth formed a small, sad smile in return. "You two would have gotten along. She really would have liked you."

I nodded. I had Peggy Carter to thank for making Steve who he is today. From what I've heard and read, he may never have made it out of his days on the stage without her. Or, he would have gotten killed before he could have become the man he is now.

I wrapped my arm around his and rested my head on his shoulder. We stood there for a few minutes before I felt Nat walking into the chapel. "I'm going to give you two a minute." I said.

"Who?" Steve asked, vaguely confused. Sometimes I forget that no one else can feel the things I'm sensing.

"Sorry. Uh, Nat's coming your way." I said.

Steve nodded. I hugged him one more time before teleporting back to the Avenger's facility. I stood alone in Pietro and I's room for a moment. I could feel Pietro, Wanda and Vision all sitting in the main common area three floors down, so I was alone here.

The accords were moving forward despite all my efforts to try and convince everybody how much of a terrible idea they were. Tony was the biggest factor. He was grief stricken and feeling guilty about Sokovia, which I understood. I really did, but these accords were going to tear the team apart. I wanted to tell everyone what I'd seen when I had touched the Infinity Stone in Nepal, but I couldn't, no matter how bad things got.

I let out a groan and flopped back onto the bed. Nothing was going the way it was supposed to. With all my power, I should be able to get something right, but I just couldn't seem to. The team was heading on a one way path to destruction. Loki has the ability to control and manipulate me whenever he wants and Thor has been mysteriously MIA for far too long.

"Oh my god! I am seriously the biggest dummy on the planet!" I said, sitting up abruptly. I glanced around the room. "Annnd apparently now I talk to myself, so that's great."

I sighed. Of course I haven't heard from Thor. Loki would have stopped any kind of contact he would have tried to make. The very fact that this hadn't occurred to me earlier is just a testament to the fact that there were far too many things flying around in my head. Thor could be anywhere right now. He could be in danger. If Loki doesn't want me to know where Thor is or what he is doing, then there's probably a good chance that Thor is either in trouble or that he found some information on the Infinity Stones that could help us. Either way, I needed to figure out if Loki is hiding something.