18: Ego and Self-respect

Song: Ungodly Hour

Artist: The Fray

Ego and Self-respect

I stared at her with my eyebrow raised. She just smiled back quirking up her eyebrows as she waited for my response. I let out a cough then took a step back.

"You said 'drop all the information you have about her'...which means you found something," I stated. Gabriella bit her bottom her lip then nodded.

"Well, what is it?" I demanded.

"I thought you don't care." She tilted her head at me. "Besides I'm not going to tell if you don't ask nicely, Mr. Clarkson."

I got slightly annoyed that she wasn't telling me and that she had found something and didn't tell me. I raised a brow thinking how she found information so quickly which made me reflect on what Mason said. Maybe she is doing this for her benefit.

"Why won't you just tell me?" I demanded then clenched my fists. "Do you want me to sleep with you, to get the information."

That seemed to wipe the smug look on her face as she tilted her head at me. She took a few steps back then squinted her eyes. "Excuse me? Do you think that's the reason I am doi—"

"Or you just want to get more information out of my family, huh? Is that it?" I raised my voice then took a step forward.

"Speak for yourself!" she clenched her fists. "On the first day, we met you couldn't focus, rather finding ways to get me into your bed as you do with every other woman that crosses your path."

"Your just like every other rich bastard that thinks little of the female population, a complete sexist asshole who lets money get to him." she added causing me to glare at her.

"At least it's better than crying over makeup and clothing and being sensitive. It accurately shows that some women cannot handle such complex occupations and let emotions get in the way. It indicates that women are weak and let men use them however they want!"

"Oh, fuck you, Adam Clarkson." She scrunched her nose up. "Yet you want me to find your 'true' love?" she let out a pathetic laugh.

"You fucking offered! I didn't want to go down that path again but you just brought it up!" I yelled sizing her up as I was now standing right in front of her.

"I was trying to be nice! You hide your problems under the bed and expect women, money and manipulating to cover it up." she exclaimed then pointed her index finger at my chest.

"I was trying to help you because unlike you, your loved one didn't cheat on you." She said then slowly backed away.

"I thought this woman could bring out a better side of you." She threw her arms up in deaf. "Yet I was wrong, she only makes you a selfish asshole who'll soon be digging his own grave."

My jaw clenched as I watched her gather her things then walk out of the room. The door slammed shut and I watched as she walked down the hall. Once she was out of sight I cursed then ran a hand through my hair. My nostrils flared with rage as the recent event played in my mind over and over again...

The rest of the day I occupied myself with work and cancelled the rest of my meetings. I was angry, frustrated and annoyed. I hate being told off particularly by a young woman. Especially if she's going to tell me a whole lot of bullshit.

Later that evening when I arrived at my apartment I saw Alicia and Nikita waiting by my door. I raised a brow taking in their appearances. Alicia wore a tight gray formal dress, heels and a black Prada handbag. I had to know these brands, especially since Alicia, Claudette and mom showed me them all the time.