Chapter 39: Join The Orchestra

I have to give a bit of a gore warning guys if you're not good with that kind of stuff...read at your own risk. If you survived He's My Mate you'll survive this, loves.

Tatum

Birds were flying high above the trees, cautious to land on any branch as squirrels watched on, calculating the intent of eight wolves stalking through a territory that was not theirs.

My father and Rick's wolves were both at the front of our party as the best all round trackers and hunters of the group it was only fitting they would lead us toward the scent of the wolf that was killed in our den.

A few paces behind them Dustin and I were fanned out to the Alpha's furthest sides, Reid and David behind us spreading us out further and their Betas Thomas and Andrew taking up the back along with Alic, standing only a foot or two apart, closing up our triangle/oval-like formation. The idea was to fan out as far as possible but to keep your ass covered.

Generally, a Beta or third in command would stay back with the pack to keep them safe and to also be there to take over the pack should anything happen to the Alpha, but trying to stop anyone from coming to Jai's rescue was fruitless.

His aunt Petricia had to physically be restrained by their warriors to keep her from following us into the night. Most of the three packs Jaidan had grown up with were jumping to tag along. We wanted to keep our company small in order to have stealth on our side. Though, we soon gave in and allowed a small number of about 30 mixed warriors to join us, about one-hundred meters back just in case we needed them.

We had been almost edging another traditional pack's land, far from any of our pack lands for the last few hours, just staying clear of it in no man's land. This trek was getting tedious as we weaved in and out of different paths wasting our time on a dead she-wolf's path who obviously didn't even know where she was going and clearly lost her way multiple times. However, she was our only lead that we had come up with.

The thick musky smoke of pine needles invaded our senses and as we got closer to it, the notable whispering hisses and sizzling crackles and pops of the wood graced our ears. It was almost silent for a moment before a roar of cheers went up with a plume of smoke and an orange kaleidoscope of bright warming flames washing the area came into view.

A man was dragging another man by his long black hair where blood visibly dripped from one of his temples and seemingly black veins ran the length of his body. He was out cold.

My attention focused on a dark wolf dragging and tugging a visibly smaller man whimpering and crying out for him to stop and let him go.

His scent registered with me before his face did as he was violently thrown along with the other man alarmingly close to the bonfire. This was Jaidan. The sweet scent of apples and cinnamon blew down wind towards us and made me damn near moan at it. I hadn't smelt his intoxicating scent in nearly two weeks and my wolf was going crazy for it about to run out after his mate.

Thomas and Andrew's matching dusty black and cream wolves stepped up to each side of me, their wolves nudging my sides to settle my wolf's growing rage as their Alpha mentioned the rogue scum that wanted to mate my mate.

When he took my mate by the neck my every ounce of self-control snapped but as I lunged forward a large feline body cut me off, his echoing rumble of a growl vibrated from within him while he pounced on an unsuspecting rogue and took him down in a flash before jumping off the body and taking out another.