20. Kids

20. Kids

"Attendance!" I declared, sitting on the chair with my arms crossed. In front of me were four children, lined up side by side and acting all military.

"Sae, Here!" the girl saluted, responding sportively.

"Sui, Present." the second girl saluted too, but with a much less spirited voice than the previous.

"Lambo-san is here!" the third child imitated the two older girls, saluting and responding loudly.

"I-pin, yes!" came the fourth voice.

"I shall now declare the mission for today!" I declared, standing up majestically, my voice booming. "And that is... Grocery shopping!"

"Yes, yes," called a hungover Dad from the couch, "I'm glad you're all having fun, but you should hurry on before the rush hour arrives."

"By orders of the Grand Marshall, we shall set out!" I declared.

"Sir, yes, sir!" they replied in English.

-----

"零哥, 我要那個!" (Rei-nii, I want that!) I-pin tugged at my pant sleeve, pointing at the direction of the ice cream vendor. "零哥!" (Rei-nii!)

"Hm? What is it, I-pin?" I crouched down, "Oh, you want that?"

I reached into my pocket. Well, I had plenty of cash left over. I guess an ice cream or two won't hurt. "你知道该怎么问吗?" I spoke in Chinese, (Do you know how to ask?).

I-pin nodded, accepting the money gratefully, said a "谢谢" in thanks and scurried off towards the vendor.

I knew the Chinese language, mainly due to Drew's influence. It seems like it was her mother tongue in her past life.  Speaking Chinese as Ninomiya Rei almost felt refreshing.

As for why I'm in this predicament, Reborn found out I could speak I-pin's language and sent me off on a babysitting job. Well, I had to take care of Sae and Sui anyways. It's just two more young children around.

"Rei-chan, I procured Butter!" Sae announced.

"I got milk and cheese." Sui said.

Placing it in the cart, I praised Sae and Sui for a good job well done and sent them off on the next ingredient to procure.

"I got grape candy!" Lambo laughed. "And chocolate!"

...Grape candy wasn't in the list. I sighed. But at least he grabbed the correct item too. I sent him off on potato chip duty.

"萝卜!" (Carrots!) called I-pin.

"Oh, thanks, I-pin." I pet her on the head. I-pin was so diligent. So, so diligent. She's such a good girl oh my god-