Mycroft one shot x reader - Gladly

So, you might remember me saying I skipped Mycroft the previous time because of my lack of inspiration for him. I asked if someone had an idea for our sweet Myc and @healiathomas answered me. It is an idea that seemed like a challenge to me, since I don't usually write pregnancy one shots, but hey, why not try something new? So I accepted the challenge and used the idea for a story. And you're reading that story right now. I'll do my best to make it a good one! Enjoy!

***

The ticking of the clock made me nervous; it was an unbearable sound but it was nothing compared to the insufferable feeling that ate me up inside. Any minute now, he could return any minute now. I realised I was ticking my fingers on the table along with the rhythm of the clock, a habit Mycroft always hated. But ticking with my fingers kept me from biting my lip or nails, a habit I hated but very often did. Any minute now. I placed my hands on my belly and I let out a deep sigh, waiting for the killing seconds to pass. Yet the fear for his reaction made me hope that those tortuous seconds were never over.

The sound of the keys that opened the door made me jump up and I stared at Mycroft with a shocked face. 'Is there something wrong, dear?' He asked when I kept staring at him, fear visibly increasing on my face. 'Wrong? I don't know if 'wrong' is the right word but I have been waiting for you to return home since this morning.' I said nervously. I was glad I wasn't stuttering yet. Mycroft dropped his keys on the table and walked towards me, he gave me a loving kiss when he reached me. 'If it has made my love so nervous and scared, it must be a very wrong thing.' He said and smiled sweetly.

A smile suddenly appeared on my face. 'Maybe it's not wrong. Maybe it's very beautiful.' I said mysteriously. He looked at me with an asking face, not understanding what I mean with that. 'Maybe... But maybe you must first tell me what 'it' is so I can be the judge of that.' He said. 'You're right. I will tell you.' I said and the smile didn't disappear from my face. But I couldn't speak the words. 'Well, go on, tell me.' He said, chuckling because of my smile. 'Okay, okay, I will. Mycroft...' I stared. 'Yes?' he asked. And with a big smile on my face I said: 'I'm pregnant.'

I had expected Mycroft to be quite amazed, but I hadn't seen this reaction coming. His smile disappeared from his face and he quickly drew a chair to fall down on it. 'Pregnant?' He asked and I nodded a bit disappointed. 'You're expecting a baby? Another human being?' He asked and I heard a strange tone in his voice. Again, I nodded. 'But that's... that's impossible!' He said, clearly shocked. 'No,' I said, 'it's not. Did you ever pay attention in biology class?' I asked. 'But how?' He asked and I opened my mouth, astonished he didn't know how. Luckily, he stopped me before I even started. 'I know that!' He said and rose from his chair. 'It's just. I-I can't be a-a...' He stopped talking. 'A what, Mycroft?' I asked. The space between us annoyed me so I walked closer to him and wanted to put my hand on his shoulder but he took a step back so I couldn't reach him. '...a father.'

Mycroft fell down his chair again and hid his face in his hands which made me feel slightly angry. 'Oh don't be like that. You weren't like that when you caused all this!' I said angrily and pointed at my belly as if one could already see I was expecting. Mycroft looked up, his clear blue eyes stared at me and in them I found... a tear. 'Don't see it wrong, my dear. I just don't think I, out of all people, could be a proper father. Me! I can't even be a proper human being myself, let alone raise a child.' He said powerlessly. 'I am not the right man to become a father. I can't do that. I will make the child feel just as much pain as I-' He cut himself off.

'As you feel.' I finished his sentence and drew a chair to sit next to him. 'Don't you see it, Mycroft? I want a child and I want it with you! You're going to hear a lot of jokes from Sherlock and it's certainly going to be tough, but we will do it together and there is no one I would rather have as the father of my child.' I said sweetly and placed the previously rejected hand on his shoulder. He let me do it. 'Don't you see it, Mycroft? It's a wonder! And we'll have that wonder, together.' I dried a tear out of his eyes. 'Please don't be sad.' I said and placed my head on his shoulder. 'I'm not sad. I'm just not sure if I could do it: raising a child is making a future for it.' He said insecurely. 'I'm not sure either.' I responded. 'But I'm not sure I can do it right either. What about we try it?' I smiled at him.

'But what if we fail?' He asked me. 'Oh, Mycroft,' I said while my smile became brighter, 'what if we succeed?'

He had nothing left to say so he kept quit. He then wrapped his arms around me: a gesture I had not expected but of course answered. 'Will you try it at least?' I asked him after a tight hug and a sweet kiss. He smiled at me, his eyes shining with happiness, then he answered with utter truth in his voice: 'Gladly.'

A/N

Hi there!

That was it! I really hope you enjoyed it though it was quite a challenge for me! Thank you so much for reading and please vote and comment! Let me know what you think would be cuter: Mycroft getting a son or a daughter? Let me know which one and why! Thank you so much and...

...catch you later!

-MS

(P.S. This is how Mycroft would look like at first, paralysed,  before it would actually hit him.)

Have a wonderful day! ;-)