Chapter 2 | The Hogwarts Express

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, JK Rowling does.

2 years later...

The sunlight filtered in through the half shut blinds so rays shone on Euphemia's purple duvet. With sleep clouding her eyes, she rose with a groan and reluctantly dragged herself out of bed.

Her legs feeling like lead, she traipsed over to her calendar with her fountain pen to cross off yet another day only to find that there were no days left to cross.

Any sleepiness within her disappeared immediately and energy suddenly filled her like mad, her excitement radiating off her. It was finally time for her to go to Hogwarts!

Euphemia bounced away from the calendar where 1st September was surrounded by hearts and stars with the words Hogwarts in Euphemia's best copperplate.

She got dressed in her favourite robes (or more so ones approved from her mother) and quickly braided her long brown hair neatly with purple ribbons tied at the bottom.

Casting an excited eye on her ready packed Hogwarts trunk, she bounced downstairs but not before double checking it really was 1st September and it really was the day she  would finally be able to go to the school she had dreamed of for so long.

Cassiopeia Black sat with her back to her daughter, sipping her tea haughtily whilst her husband was hidden behind the newspaper.

Marius, Euphemia's ten year old brother, was moodily prodding at his bacon, moving it around the plate.

"Marius! Eat your bacon properly!!" Arcturus snapped and Marius jumped violently before stuffing the meat in his mouth.

Euphemia cleared her throat loudly and her mother looked up and beamed. "Oh darling, you look gorgeous! Just like a proper lady. You'll make a fine member of the Noble House of Black!"

Inwardly, Euphemia rolled her eyes; she really couldn't be complimented without a mention of the Blacks. Blah blah blah, she didn't care.

After eating (in silence as per usual) Cassiopeia busied herself by neatening up Euphemia's smartest robes and getting Tibet to collect her trunk whilst reminding Euphemia be a lady.

"For goodness sake, Cassie, leave the girl alone, she's got enough problems without you adding to them! The girl has expectations, she does!" Arcturus snapped at his wife.

"Well unlike you I am actually trying to be a good parent by helping her in remembering her place!!" her mother hissed back, venom lacing her tone.

"You'll never be a good parent no matter how hard you try! That's what you do all the time Cassiopeia! Try but don't succeed!"

Euphemia winced as her mother puffed up with rage and all she could wish was that they could be a normal family.

She still didn't see how her parents ended up together as she believed in true love not true hate which seemed to be the only thing her parents shared in common.

Cassiopeia and Arcturus had only married in order to maintain the pure bloodline and this was the problem the family faced daily.

The family got a lot of strange looks from the muggles as they swished past in their robes but Cassiopeia and Arcturus just gave them dirty looks full of disgust which were met with utter confusion.