The Best Friend | Jonathan

Your best friend rarely talks to you anymore because he's too busy trying to make plans with her. You've begun to feel jealousy and have tried to deny the fact that you may have a crush on the boy you grew up with.

Ever since Jonathan and Nancy fought together to find Will, he has been distant from you. Despite the fact that Nancy has made it clear that she wants Steve, Jonathan is still head over heels for her.

You were sitting on the porch of your house when Jonathan passed by. You were excited because you had finally made plans and you'd thought he'd bail again. Last time you saw him hanging out with her when you two were supposed to go out. You see them often because Nancy lives on the same street as you.

"Jonathan! Hey! I'm glad you came." You exclaimed. He seemed a little surprised, but you ignored it. You hugged him. You loved hugging Jonathan because he always did this thing where, despite being taller, put his head on your shoulder, rubbed his nose gently against your neck, and put both his arms around your back. However, this time he only used one arm to hug back and didn't do the lil head nuzzle thing. You couldn't help but feel upset, but you didn't mention it.

"Are you ready to go? I already told my parents so there's no need to ask--"

"Actually, I was going to call you, but my mom hasn't gotten a new phone, yet. I-I can't go today, (y/n)." He scratched the back of his head and looked behind you rather than at you.

"Oh.. well since you've come, want to hang out? I can make those cookies that you love!" You smiled.

He frowned, "actually, I'm on my way to the Wheelers' house. Nancy asked me to come over to dinner, today." He half smiled.

You expect me to be happy for you, you thought. You tried not to cry, but your mind was too overwhelmed to even register that you were already shedding tears.

"(Y/n), why are you crying?" He asked. You could tell he was concerned, but you still felt upset.

"Why? Why are you now just ditching me for her? Do you remember who was there for you when Harrington was being extremely rude to you? Me! Not her. She saw it happen yet did nothing. Do you remember who sneaked out and stayed with you all night when Will disappeared? Who told you that we would find him?"

You realized you were being inconsiderate by reminding him of everything that happened. You were putting your feelings before his, and that's not right. You sighed and backed away.

"I'm sorry, Jonathan. I'm overreacting. I understand, kid. Go get her." You turned your back to him.

"Wait, (y/n)," he muttered, "i don't want to lose you as a best friend."

You sighed. You kept your back facing him, "I think you've found an even better best friend. I'll see you around, Byers."

You walked closer to your door. You hoped that he'd stop you, but when you turned around, he was already walking towards the Wheelers' home.