Chapter 18

Josef's POV

I stared - glared - at the man in the window. Silas. He's Lewis's old mate. I'm his new mate. It amazed me, really. How he could be so stupid as to let Lewis go, and then suddenly decide to want him back. Well it's too late. Lewis is my mate. Mine.

I turned to Lewis, his face pale and his small form frozen. He radiated panic. Even his sweet scent was laced with fear. His eyes darted between me and Silas. I knew what he was thinking. I gave him a reassuring smile, and watched him give me a weak smile in return. Silas looked around, before noticing us in the window. He looked between me, Jamie, and Jordan before his eyes landed on Lewis.

Silas's face lit up, only making Lewis's scared expression melt to one of terror. It pained me to see my mate like this. I growled, stepping in front of Lewis and blocking his body from Silas's view.  I knew the whole story, and there's no way I'm letting Lewis go back to that monster. Alpha or not, nobody touches my mate.

Silas growled and glared when I blocked Lewis, but I held my ground. We stared each other down until Silas scowled and walked towards the house. "Don't let him in," I growled at Jordan. "He'll hurt Lewis."

"We have no choice," he replied. "To refuse the Alpha could start a war we don't want."

"... Fine. But don't let him near Lewis."

Jordan nodded, pulling Jamie by the waist. Jamie paled, but smiled the best he could and allowed Jordan to pull him along. I pulled Lewis up, giving him a kiss and carrying him to our room. "Don't worry. I won't let him take you. You're MINE."

Lewis blushed and smiled, but I could see his eyes darting and his eyes darting around and his small hands shaking.

Silas is someone everyone in the pack knew and hated. He rejected Lewis. He is Lewis's first mate. But I'm his second mate, his current mate. I love him more than Silas ever did. In a way, I'm grateful to Silas for reject Lewis and giving him to me. I'm happier than I've ever been, and I'm sure Lewis is, too.

Lewis fell asleep as soon as I placed him on the bed. I admired his beautiful features​, giving him a light kiss before heading back to the Alpha's office.

The Alpha and Luna were behind the desk, Silas standing on the other side. They all glanced at me. Silas's eyes widened, recognizing either my face from the window, or Lewis's scent on me. I assumed it was the latter when he growled. "Who are you? Why do you smell like Lewis?! WHERE IS MY MATE?!!"

I growled back. "Your mate? Last I checked, you rejected him. Lewis is MINE."

Silas lunged, but Jordan was quicker, and they tumbled to the floor. Jamie gasped, rushing to his mate's side. "That's enough!" Jamie yelled. "We need to deal with this rationally. Alpha Silas, what is your business here?"

"I came for my mate."

I stepped forward, but Jamie cut me off. "Lewis Grant is Josef's mate."

"Oh yeah? Take me to him."

"NO!"

They turned to me, Jamie's eyes pleading. Silas growled, waiting for me to talk again and give him a reason to rip my throat out. We had a stare down until I finally stepped back. If I don't do this, he might force his way to Lewis's room and hurt him. "... Okay... I'll take you to Lewis."