Event Nine: Carnivorous Carnival, Part One

"Come on, Hermione. You look great!" Ginny said, trying to dislodge her friend from her place in front of the mirror.

"You think so? I'm not sure." Hermione said, staring at her reflection unhappily. "I feel so...uncovered."

"That's what happens when you don't wear robes that go up to your neck and down to your ankles. Trust me, you look fine."

Unconvinced, Hermione started walking over to her closet. "Maybe I should wear my old dress robes. These look so much like muggle clothing, I'm not sure his parents will like that."

Ginny rolled her bright blue eyes, grabbing Hermione by the wrist and pulling her away from the closet full of sensible and sturdy clothing. "Then you'll politely inform them that you purchased them at Twilfitt and Tatting's before I hex them for being such pure-blooded snobs."

"Ginny, you promised to be on your best behavior."

The red-head flopped down on Hermione's bed, green robes billowing around her. "Since when do you care what the Malfoys think?"

"I don't."

"Then stop using them as an excuse to hide under mountains of unnecessary fabric. I'm sure Narcissa will approve anyway. You are, after all, wearing the latest in fashion." Under her breath, she muttered, "And you're her future daughter-in-law."

"Don't think I didn't hear that last comment. I'm just choosing to ignore it."

Ginny sighed, shaking her head. "That's your problem, Hermione. You ignore the obvious, like how gorgeous you look in that dress."

Hermione knew it had been a mistake to bring Ginny along to go dress shopping. The red-headed witch was used to wearing daring clothing and seemed to think everyone should be equally comfortable in revealing frocks. How Ginny had convinced her to buy this outfit, she would never know.

Hermione slowly spun in front of the mirror, checking out her robes from all sides. The delicate material skirted above the tops of her knees, floating airily in folds of gossamer. The fabric was black, and yet prismatic. When Hermione stood still, it looked as inky as a sky without moon and stars, but whenever she moved the light seemed to catch it at all angles, rendering the dress as shimmery as an oil slick or iridescent as an opal. It cinched in at her waist, where intricate silver stitching weaved and danced in elaborate patterns. Hermione was straight, rather like a bean pole, and the silver filigree actually gave her the appearance of having a figure. And of course there was the daring dip, both at her chest and back. The black against the pale of her skin made for a startling contrast, which Ginny had somehow persuaded her was a good thing.

It really was a beautiful robe, but entirely too fancy for someone like Hermione. She was old books and parchment and quills and comfy sweats. This dress seemed designed for someone more... well, just more. It was so different from her usual clothing, she was certain the others in attendance would instantly notice the difference.

"Everyone will think I'm trying too hard. That I'm a little girl playing dress up."

"Only a catty woman would think that, and I guarantee you the men won't be caring about that. Certainly not the one whose opinions you care about."

"The only person's opinion I care about right now is my own." Hermione crossed her arms over her chest, hiding her non-existence cleavage. "Ginny, I really think I should wear something else. I feel...funny."

"Should have gotten that bust enhancing spell put in the robes, like I said."

"I want to look pretty, not like a tart."

"And you succeeded." Ginny laughed. "If you think you look like a tart, I should take you clubbing with the girls on my team. Next to them, you look positively matronly."