Chapter 16

Distantly, I could hear someone clear their throat, but I was too warm to bother opening my eyes. I could still feel Derek beside me, his arms encircling my waist. I nuzzled my head deeper against his neck, feeling the rhythm of his breaths. I assumed he'd cleared his throat in his sleep or that I'd dreamed it up in my own.

I heard it again, but this time it was accompanied by a voice. "Derek. Erika!"

I felt Derek stir beside me as I blinked a few times, my eyes focusing on the figure in front of us. His uniform was rumpled, riddled with tears and stains that I soon recognized as blood. He sported a few small scrapes and cuts, but his dark blue eyes and messy brown hair were the same.

"James!" Derek stood up, one arm still encircling my waist. Almost as if he was making sure I was still there. "What happened? Is everyone alright?"

"Everyone is fine. But they've been worried sick about you. Both of you," James glanced at me, a hint of a smirk on his face, before turning down the hallway. "I've found them!"

I heard gasps of relief before King Maxon and Queen America appeared; both looked as though they hadn't slept all night. I could see them both take in our less than ideal appearances, no doubt noting Derek's arm around me. He stepped away momentarily to hug the Queen before King Maxon wrapped them both in his arms. I stood, watching the happy reunion; I knew it was a relief for them to know that their son was alive and well.

Derek stepped back, glancing at me quickly, before the King and Queen turned as well. "Lady Erika! Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, your majesties." I nodded quickly, attempting a small curtsy.

"Good. Your friend, Lady Liana, will be glad to see you're alright. She was quite worried." Queen America clasped my hand gently, a reassuring smile on her face. I let out a breath at her words; I hadn't thought about Liana and where she'd been during the attack.

King Maxon smiled gently at me as America stepped away. "Officer Leger, please take Lady Erika to her room. I'm sure she is exhausted."

"Of course, your majesty," James nodded before whispering in my ear. "Though I don't believe you're as exhausted as they might think."

I could feel my cheeks burn as I elbowed him discreetly. He choked a laugh as the King and Queen began to walk away, arm in arm. Derek rushed over, ignoring James as he gave me a brief kiss. "I'll come see you as soon as I can." He kissed my cheek quickly before glancing at James and following his parents.

I watched him go before turning back to James, a smirk on his face. "Oh, stop it."

"I won't say anything, miss future-princess," he chuckled quietly before leading me downstairs. "I'm just glad you two are alright."

I blushed but ignored his princess comment. "I'm glad you're alright, too." I eyed the tears and blood on his uniform.

"It's not my blood, if that's what you're wondering," he followed my gaze before swallowing. "The attack was...well, it was vicious."

"I'm sorry," I sighed, knowing he'd probably lost friends tonight. "Was anyone...?"

"All of the selected are fine. Everly and Gen are too. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of the girls leave," he stopped suddenly, blocking my view of the second floor. "Don't look."

"What're you talking abo-" My words were cut off as I stepped around James to see the horror and carnage the rebels had caused.

Guards bodies littered the floor, splayed in unnatural positions. I could see bullet shells on the ground among the tattered curtains, decorations, and furniture. Butlers and maids scrubbed furiously, trying to wash the blood and remains of off the walls and floor. I felt bile running up my throat and I hurled before I could stop myself.