( 02. ━ THE WILD LOVES THE GIRL. )

rose

rose.
a short story.
the first act of evil.
part two  ━  the wild loves the girl.

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

❛  it happens slowly,
so slowly that they don't notice.
no one notices.
only she knows what's in her own head.  ❜

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

POTENTIALLY TRIGGERING SCENES AHEAD

POTENTIALLY TRIGGERING SCENES AHEAD. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

CASTERLY ROCK.

     THEY STAY FOR WEEKS. Uncle Kevan and his wife and Rose. Cersei grows complacent but irritated, because it seems like Jaime is around Rose all the time, and Cersei feels ignored. She feels forgotten. Left by the wayside in favour of some other beauty.

     Cersei knows this isn't true. Jaime still looks at her the same way as he did before, and he still pays her more attention than he pays anybody else. Cersei knows her brother is just trying to be a good host, just as she is trying to be a good hostess for her father's favourite brother, but she thinks it might be something more than that, too. She can feel her own jealousy tainting her thoughts, seeping into her blood and her bones, because she thinks Rose is prettier and sweeter and far more innocent than she will ever be.

     At night, when Jaime sneaks into Cersei's room, they talk about her. Not on purpose. Discussions of the day always seem to come back to their cousin, though, as if she is the Northern point on a compass, or the star they must follow home. It happens naturally. Cersei finds it somewhat endearing, the way Jaime's voice softens when he talks about Rose. Her brother has always been the more forgiving, the more good-natured of the twins, and it's evident by the way he treats their demon little brother.

     Rose is sweet to Tyrion too, and Cersei can't explain it. She can't understand how Rose can stand to be around him, to play with him as if he is one of them. A normal child and not a creature sent to torment them. Cersei attributes it to the soft nature she has noticed in Rose. The younger girl is quiet, and at first, Cersei thought this meant she was dull. Rose does not speak often. She doesn't seem to like the attention. She flushes scarlet every time Jaime includes her in the conversation. When Rose does speak, her voice is so soft that she needs to repeat herself.