The Lost Imperians

One week.

That was all Vivia had before she was supposed to be "court" ready.

How was she supposed to fit an entire lifetime of etiquette, formalities, and royal behavior into one week? Early Monday morning, Ms. Manda dragged her out of bed and forced her into an icy cold bath. 

"First thing about being a lady," she'd said. "You must always look your best."

They spent at least two hours drowning Vivia's skin in luxurious oils and thick lotions. Ms. Manda was able to wield a mighty brush and tame her wild curls. She tucked pearl pins into Vivia's hair and smothered her curls in shea butter and rose oil. By the time she was done. Vivia looked natural but luminous with lightly dusted cheeks and a rosy red pout. Ms. Manda went into Vivia's closet and returned with a strange garment. It was ivory with delicate lace and stiff. It almost reminded her of her leather stay except it had metals hooks in the front.

"This," she said. "Is a corset."

"Like what I wore yesterday?"

Ms. Manda gave her a look. One that said, oh boy. "No, my dear. That was a corseted dress. This is an actual corset."

Vivia stared at it strangely. "What am I supposed to do with it? And what's the difference?"

"It goes around your waist and supports your breast."

"There are no cups."

"That's because this one, in particular, is an under bust. You aren't ready for a full corset yet dear, you'll faint. Come now, I need to teach you how to put it on. No lady of Court goes without wearing one."

Vivia went behind the changing panel and put on the brassiere and chemise Ms. Manda gave her. Vivia didn't think a lady's undergarments would be so beautiful or soft. It felt like being wrapped up in the comfort of a cloud. She stepped out from behind the changing panel and Ms. Manda instructed her to hold onto the post of the bed. She didn't understand why. How silly would that be to hold onto the post of a bed?

Ms. Manda wrapped the corset around Vivia's waist and secured the hooks in the front. Then, she got to work with pulling on the silk strings in the back.

"Do I really need to hold onto--?"

With a whoosh, Ms. Manda yanked on the laces of her corset knocking the air right out of Vivia's lungs. If not for the fact that she had been holding onto the bedpost, she probably would've fallen backgrounds.

"My Gods!"

"I told you," she said.

By the time she was done tying Vivia up she could not breathe. It took her a few moments to get used to being restricted and walking with her back so erect. But once she tiptoed over to the mirror she found herself smitten. Most girls back in Canta would find this corset to be an uncomfortable monstrosity. It gave her such beautiful curves and lifted and shaped her breasts. After a few minutes walking, bending, and shifting in her corset she found its snugness to be comforting. She enjoyed wearing it.

A lot.

"I rather fancy this unique contraption," Vivia said, wiggling around in her corset as she circled the room. "It's quite comfortable actually."

Ms. Manda was in Vivia's wardrobe shifting through colorful summer dresses. She examined her then sighed. "We're going to have to resize all of your dresses."

"Why?"

"Because you're completely out of proportion. Your bust is too large for your short and tiny frame and I'll not have you walking around looking discombobulated!" Ms. Manda yanked a dark yellow and red dress from a hanger. "This should do for now."